Albert Ellis Love Quotes and Sayings
2. Acceptance is not love. You love a person because he or she has lovable traits, but you accept everybody just because they’re alive and human.
Sayings by Albert Ellis
1. As a result of my philosophy, I wasn’t even upset about Hitler. I was willing to go to war to knock him off, but I didn’t hate him. I hated what he was doing.
2. By not caring too much about what people think, I’m able to think for myself and propagate ideas which are very often unpopular. And I succeed.
3. I get people to truly accept themselves unconditionally, whether or not their therapist or anyone loves them.
4. I had a great many sex and love cases where people were absolutely devastated when somebody with whom they were compulsively in love didn’t love them back. They were killing themselves with anxiety and depression.
5. I think the future of psychotherapy and psychology is in the school system. We need to teach every child how to rarely seriously disturb himself or herself and how to overcome disturbance when it occurs.
6. Let’s suppose somebody abused you sexually. You still had a choice, though not a good one, about what to tell yourself about the abuse.
7. People don’t just get upset. They contribute to their upsetness.
8. People got insights into what was bothering them, but they hardly did a damn thing to change.
9. The best years of your life are the ones in which you decide your problems are your own. You do not blame them on your mother, the ecology, or the president. You realize that you control your own destiny.
10. There’s no evidence whatsoever that men are more rational than women. Both sexes seem to be equally irrational.
11. We teach people that they upset themselves. We can’t change the past, so we change how people are thinking, feeling and behaving today.
12. You largely constructed your depression. It wasn’t given to you. Therefore, you can deconstruct it.