You may ask me, “What is happiness?” If I may redirect that question back to you, “What is happiness to you?” Different people have different perspectives about happiness; different people take different path to seek happiness. But don’t you agree that at the end of the day, to be happy is what most people, if not all, want?
Do not follow the path to happiness of another, you have to walk your own path. I hope these collection of more than 90 happiness quotes and sayings will help you to rediscover your inner path to happiness and live a happy life!
View the below quotes & sayings as inspirational picture quotes
1. One of the best ways to make yourself happy is to make other people happy. One of the best ways to make other people happy is to be happy yourself.
2. Don’t let anyone make you think your dreams are insignificant. Life allows you to define your own happiness.
3. Happiness is discovering that the most worthwhile and powerful validation is the one you give to yourself.
The key to being happy is knowing you have the power to choose what to accept and what to let go.
3. Happiness is not an accident. Nor is it something you wish for. Happiness is something you design.
Learn to be happy with what you have while you pursue all that you want.
– Jim Rohn
4. You don’t have the power to make life fair, but you do have the power to make life joyful.
– Jonathan Lockwood Huie
5. The first recipe for happiness is: to avoid too lengthy meditation on the past.
6. There is no happiness in having or in getting, but only in giving.
7. Happiness is a by-product of an effort to make someone else happy.
– Gretta Brooker Palmer
8. Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking.
9. Joy is simple when you are young; simplicity is joy as you age.
– Ven. Xian Zhong
10. It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.
11. A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes.
– Hugh Downs
12. You’re going to be happy when you decide to be happy, not when you wait to feel like it.
13. Happiness really comes down to two elements: the way we think and the way we act.
– Jess Ainscough
14. There is only one way to happiness and that is to cease worrying about things which are beyond the power of our will.
15. Resolve to keep happy, and your joy and you shall form an invincible host against difficulties.
A happy life consists not in the absence, but in the mastery of hardships.
16. Success is getting what you want; happiness is wanting what you get.
17. Be happy for no reason, like a child. If you are happy for a reason, you’re in trouble, because that reason can be taken from you.
18. It wasn’t until I realized that I didn’t have to fit into society’s definition or idea of me that I started being happy. Being happy feels like one of the greatest triumphs of my life.
– Jennifer Pastiloff
19. I greet each new day with energy and joy!
20. Happiness is inward, and not outward; and so, it does not depend on what we have, but on what we are.
21. The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance. The wise grows it under his feet.
– James Oppenheim
22. Sometimes when I’m not feeling so happy, I do something to make someone else happy then I find I’m suddenly feeling happy again.
23. Happiness depends upon ourselves.
24. Don’t wait around for other people to be happy for you. Any happiness you get you’ve got to make yourself.
25. Into the house where joy lives, happiness will gladly come.
– Japanese Proverb
26. Happiest is the person whose heart is filled with love.
27. Happiness is always a choice. You can’t wait for circumstances to get better. You have to create your own good fortune. So look for ways to be happy every day.
The real joy in life is not in what we get but in what we give.
You’ll have true happiness when you don’t live to get, but live to give.
Joy is not dependent on what’s happening around you; joy is deep down within you.
28. If you want to be happy, be.
29. There is no path to happiness: happiness is the path.
30. If in our daily life we can smile, if we can be peaceful and happy, not only we, but everyone will profit from it. This is the most basic kind of peace work.
31. I am in charge of how I feel and today I am choosing happiness.
– Author Unknown
32. A joyful heart is the inevitable result of a heart burning with love. She gives most who gives with joy.
33. Plenty of people miss their share of happiness, not because they never found it, but because they didn’t stop to enjoy it.
– William Feather
34. If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
35. Happiness cannot be traveled to, owned, earned, worn or consumed. Happiness is the spiritual experience of living every moment with love and gratitude.
36. For every minute you remain angry, you give up sixty seconds of peace of mind.
37. Happiness is the experience of living every moment with love, grace and gratitude.
38. When one door of happiness closes, another opens: but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.
39. Joy does not simply happen to us. We have to choose joy and keep choosing it every day.
40. The art of being happy lies in the power of extracting happiness from common things.
41. Happiness is not a feeling, it is a choice. To be happy, one must choose to be happy, not respond to a circumstance that now controls your happiness.
You cannot give someone else the responsibility for your joy. Being happy is a choice you must make.
42. What we call the secret of happiness is no more a secret than our willingness to choose life.
43. The present moment is filled with joy and happiness. If you are attentive, you will see it.
44. Happiness does not depend on outward things, but on the way we see them.
45. Happiness held is the seed; Happiness shared is the flower.
– John Harrigan
46. Happiness is not something you postpone for the future; it is something you design for the present.
– Jim Rohn
47. Happiness is really the reflection of our thoughts.
– Symphony of Love
48. If you want to be happy, look within.
– Symphony of Love
49. To get up each morning with the resolve to be happy is to set our own conditions to the events of each day. To do this is to condition circumstances instead of being conditioned by them.
50. Recipe for happiness: Live with enthusiasm, smile for no reason, love without conditions, act with purpose, listen with your heart, and laugh often.
– Adrian Corday
51. Set your heart on doing good. Do it over and over again, and you will be filled with joy.
52. The secret of happiness is to count your blessings while others are adding up their troubles.
53. Happiness means loving yourself and being less concerned with the approval of others.
– Owen Wilson Jr.
54. Happiness is the key to life. It doesn’t matter how much you have, what you spend, make, drive or wear. It all means nothing if you are not happy within yourself. Happiness is the richest thing we will ever own.
– Rene Scalfani
55. Happiness is the only good. The place to be happy is here. The time to be happy is now. The way to be happy is to make others so.
56. Every moment spent in unhappiness is a moment of happiness lost.
57. Happy is the man who can brush aside the offending remarks of another and go on his way.
58. The most important thing is to enjoy your life — to be happy — it’s all that matters.
59. In order to give of yourself to others, you must first have something to give. So enjoy life. Have fun. Indulge yourself. Be good to yourself. How can you hope to bring happiness to others, if you are not happy?
– Ralph Marston
60. Happiness is not in our circumstance but in ourselves. It is not something we see, like a rainbow, or feel, like the heat of a fire. Happiness is something we are.
– John B. Sheerin
61. Most people ask for happiness on condition. Happiness can only be felt if you don’t set any condition.
62. Riches can all be lost, but that happiness in your own heart can only be veiled, and it will bring you happiness again, as long as you live.
63. Happiness, not in another place but this place … not for another hour, but this hour.
64. Happiness resides not in possessions and not in gold; the feeling of happiness dwells in the soul.
65. Happiness is an inside job.
66. Follow your bliss and the universe will open doors where there were only walls.
67. Children are happy because they don’t have a file in their minds called ‘All the Things That Could Go Wrong.’
68. Allow children to be happy in their own way, for what better way will they find?
69. A grateful attitude makes you happy.
70. Only by treating others with kindness can one lead a happy and peaceful life.
71. Happiness doesn’t result from what we get, but from what we give.
– Ben Carson
72. The more we genuinely care about others the greater our own happiness and inner peace.
– Allan Lokos
73. If you are going to live a joyful, victorious life, you have to do so by choice and not by feeling.
Don’t spend your life waiting to be happy, decide to be happy now!
74. If you’ve forgotten the language of Gratitude, you’ll never be on speaking terms with happiness.
– Author Unknown
75. Happiness is not determined by what’s happening around you, but rather what’s happening inside you. Most people depend on others to gain happiness, but the truth is, it always comes from within.
– Adrian Corday
76. It is not happiness that makes us grateful, it is gratefulness that makes us happy.
– David Steindl-Rast
77. It’s important to make someone happy, and it’s important to start with yourself.
– Author Unknown
78. Everything you’re presently angry about blocks you from seeing happiness.
Seek out the happiness in all of life’s crappiness.
79. When someone’s else happiness is your happiness, that is love.
– Lana Del Rey
80. There is a calmness to a life lived in gratitude, a quiet joy.
– Ralph H. Blum
81. Your happiness depends upon your very own thoughts. No one else can think your thoughts for you. Deliberately think thoughts of what you want because they’re the thoughts that make you happy.
82. Absolute peace and happiness lies within one’s self. Yet people are rushing all over to find it in the world.
True happiness lies in your own Self. Nowhere else. It is the core of your personality. Seek happiness within.
Look at the world as it is. Not as you would like it to be. Your mind then becomes peaceful and happy.
The world has no happiness inherent in it. The pleasure and joy you seem to get out of the world is a reflection of the bliss of your Self. (Twitter, 09 October 2016)
– Swami Parthasarathy
83. Happiness is like a butterfly which, when pursued, is always beyond our grasp, but, if you will sit down quietly, may alight upon you.
84. A heart of loving kindness enjoys greatest happiness.
85. The happiness you feel is in direct proportion to the love you give.
86. Make yourself so happy so that when others look at you they become happy too.
– Yogi Bhajan
87. A forgiving and generous heart is the fountain of happiness.
Happiness is not about how much we possess but how little we bicker over trivials.
True happiness is measured by love, and not by one’s possessions.
88. Always make time for the things that make you feel happy to be alive.
– Author Unknown
89. Happiness is not something that you get in life. Happiness is something that you bring to life.
Most people are searching for happiness outside of themselves. That’s a fundamental mistake. Happiness is something that you are, and it comes from the way that you think.
90. I believe the world is as we choose to view it. Simple as that. Our happiness is, in the end, up to us, and to no one else.
– Susan Fletcher
91. Happiness is not an accident. Nor is it something you wish for. Happiness is something you design.
– Jim Rohn
92. One of the secrets to be happy is being positive.
– Symphony of Love
93. Happiest of people don’t necessary have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes along their way.
– Karen S. Magee
94. No one is in control of your happiness but you; therefore, you have the power to change anything about yourself or your life that you want to change.
95. I have decided to be happy because it’s good for my health.
96. Take time to do what makes your soul happy.
– Author Unknown
97. It is difficult to find happiness within oneself, but it is impossible to find it anywhere else.
– Arthur Schopenhauer
98. Happiness is itself a kind of gratitude.
– Joseph Wood Krutch
99. When you harbor bitterness, happiness will dock elsewhere.
– Andy Rooney
100. There is only one person who could ever make you happy, and that person is you.
– David D. Burns
101. We tend to forget that happiness doesn’t come as a result of getting something we don’t have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have.
– Frederick Keonig
102. Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.
– Albus Dumbledore
103. I am more and more convinced that our happiness or unhappiness depends far more on the way we meet the events of life, than on the nature of those events themselves.
– Wilhelm von Humboldt
104. The man is happiest who lives from day to day and asks no more, garnering the simple goodness of life.
105. One of the first conditions of happiness is that the link between Man and Nature shall not be broken.
106. The greater part of our happiness depends on our dispositions, and not on our circumstances.
– Martha Washington
107. The only way on earth to multiply happiness is to divide it.
– Paul Scherer
108. If one thinks that one is happy, that is enough to be happy.
– Madame de la Fayette
109. True happiness cannot be found in things that change and pass away. Pleasure and pain alternate inexorably. Happiness comes from the Self and can be found in the Self only. Find your real Self and all else will come with it.
– Nisargadatta Maharaj
110. The key to happiness is letting each situation be what it is instead of what you think it should be.
– Mandy Hale
111. Joy goes against the foundations of mathematics: it multiplies when we divide.
112. Happiness is a decision. You can decide to be happy without what you thought you needed in order to be happy, and you will be.
Happiness is a decision, not an experience. You can decide to be happy, and you will be.
It is you who are choosing, in any moment, to be happy. Or choosing to be sad, or angry, or forgiving, or whatever. You are choosing. You.
You are without needs. There is nothing that you need in order to be perfectly happy. You only think that there is.
Your deepest, most perfect happiness will be found within, and once you find it, nothing exterior to your Self can destroy it.
Happiness is allowing yourself to be okay with what is, rather than wishing for, and bemoaning, what is not.
113. Happiness is your nature. It is not wrong to desire it. What is wrong is seeking it outside when it is inside.
– Sri Ramana Maharshi
114. When your joy is dependent on people and conditions, it is restricted.
If you seek your joy within, you will be happy, no matter what is going on around you.
– Iyanla Vanzant
115. Never sacrifice happiness for the sake of achievement. The real key to life is to happily achieve.
– Robin Sharma
116. Everyone chases after happiness, not noticing that happiness is right at their heels.
– Bertolt Brecht
117. Happiness is not about doing, it’s about being.
If you allow yourself to be in the moment, and appreciate the moment, happiness will follow.
118. The grand essentials to happiness in this life are something to do, something to love, and something to hope for.
– George Washington Burnap
119. I slept and dreamt that life was joy. I awoke and saw that life was service. I acted and behold, service was joy.
120. Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but a manner of traveling.
– Margaret Lee Runbeck
121. I think happiness is what makes you pretty. Period. Happy people are beautiful. They become like a mirror and they reflect that happiness.
– Drew Barrymore
122. Now and then it’s good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy.
– Guillaume Apollinaire
123. Derive happiness in oneself from a good day’s work, from illuminating the fog that surrounds us.
– Henri Matisse
124. Happiness is not the absence of problems, it’s the ability to deal with them.
125. A happy life is just a string of happy moments. But most people don’t allow the happy moments, because they’re so busy trying to get a happy life.
– Abraham Hicks
126. If your happiness depends on what somebody else does, I guess you do have a problem.
127. Happiness starts with you. Not with your relationships, not with your job, not with you money, but with you.
– Author Unknown
128. I began learning long ago that those who are happiest are those who do the most for others.
– Booker T. Washington
129. Your unhappiness ultimately arises not from the circumstances of your life but from the conditioning of your mind.
Many poets and sages throughout the ages, have observed that true happiness – I call it the joy of Being – is found in simple, seemingly unremarkable things.
Pleasure is always derived from something outside you, whereas joy arises from within.
The primary cause of unhappiness is never the situation but your thoughts about it.
#130 Essay “Distractions I” in Vedanta for the Western World (1945) edited by Christopher Isherwood
130. Happiness is not achieved by the conscious pursuit of happiness; it is generally the by-product of other activities.
– Aldous Huxley
131. All the wealth, recognition, and power in the world will not deliver happiness. Happiness lives inside you.
– Panache Desai
132. Learn to be happy with all that you have, while you pursue all that you want.
– Darren Hardy, Twitter, 20 Oct 2016
133. Stop using others for your happiness; be your own happiness.
134. You don’t have to wait to be free. You don’t need to postpone being happy.
135. The secret of happiness is: find something more important than you are, and dedicate your life to it. (Quoted in TED Talks
– Dan Denett
136. Be happy with the little that you have. There are people with nothing that still manage to smile.
– Author Unknown
137. Be happy for this moment. This moment is your life.
– Omar Khayyam
138. But what is happiness except the simple harmony between a man and the life he leads?
139. Happiness is not a matter of intensity but of balance and order and rhythm and harmony.
140. Happy the Man
Happy the man, and happy he alone,
He who can call today his own:
He who, secure within, can say,
Tomorrow do thy worst, for I have lived today.
Be fair or foul or rain or shine
The joys I have possessed, in spite of fate, are mine.
Not Heaven itself upon the past has power,
But what has been, has been, and I have had my hour.
—John Dryden, Imitation of Horace, 1685, Book III, Ode 29