Over 100 Kindness quotes and sayings
These are all my favourite. As Mark Twain said, “Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see.” And I certainly hope to inspire kindness with these quotes to generate a ripple in this world with no ending.
1. As we work to create light for others, we naturally light our own way.
– Mary Anne Radmacher
2. At the right time, a kind word from a stranger, or encouragement from a friend, can make all the difference in the world. Kindness is free, but it’s priceless.
– Doe Zantamata
3. Only by treating others with kindness can one lead a happy and peaceful life.
4. One of the most difficult things to give away is kindness, for it is usually returned.
– Mark Ortman
5. Your words have great power. Use them to support and inspire.
Everywhere you go is a chance to change the world. One smile, one hug, one act of kindness can make the world of difference to someone!
Do good for others. It will come back in unexpected ways.
Big thank you to all those who have been unkind to me. You reminded me about the importance of kindness.
6. Our task must be to free ourselves … by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty.
Peace cannot be kept by force; it can only be achieved by understanding.
The ideals that have lighted my way, and time after time have given me new courage to face life cheerfully, have been kindness, beauty, and truth.
7. Our job is to love others without stopping to inquire whether or not they are worthy. That is not our business and, in fact, it is nobody’s business. What we are asked to do is to love, and this love itself will render both ourselves and our neighbors worthy.
8. The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the greatest intention.
Tenderness and kindness are not signs of weakness and despair, but manifestations of strength and resolution.
9. We won’t always know whose lives we touched and made better for having cared, because actions can sometimes have unforeseen ramifications. What’s important is that you do care and you act.
– Charlotte Lunsford
10. For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.
– Sam Levenson
11. Wherever there is a human being, there is an opportunity for a kindness.
12. There is no religion without love, and people may talk as much as they like about their religion, but if it does not teach them to be good and kind to man and beast, it is all a sham.
– Anna Sewell
13. Do not do unto others as you would that they should do unto you. Their tastes may not be the same.
14. Have compassion for all beings, rich and poor alike; each has their suffering.
Set your heart on doing good. Do it over and over again, and you will be filled with joy.
If you don’t tend to one another, who then will tend to you?
15. My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness.
When we feel love and kindness toward others, it not only makes others feel loved and cared for, but it helps us also to develop inner happiness and peace.
Kindness and a good heart are the foundation for success in this life, progress on the spiritual path, and the fulfillment of our aspirations. Our need for them is not limited to any specific time, place, society, or culture.
This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.
It is necessary to help others, not only in our prayers, but in our daily lives.
Creating a better, more compassionate world is a genuine possibility. The potential is there.
Never think that being kind to others is an invitation to them to exploit you.
As you breathe in, cherish yourself. As you breathe out, cherish all beings.
Harmony among the major faiths has become an essential ingredient of peaceful coexistence in our world. From this perspective, mutual understanding among these traditions is not merely the business of religious believers — it matters for the welfare of humanity as a whole.
Good result, happy result, depends entirely on good action.
Compassion is the seed of inner peace and we all have the same potential.
What holds society together is a concern for others.
If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them.
Be a kind and compassionate person. This is the inner beauty that is a key factor to making a better world. (Twitter)
16. A kind heart is a fountain of gladness, making everything in its vicinity freshen into smiles.
17. The more we genuinely care about others the greater our own happiness and inner peace.
– Allan Lokos
18. Remember there’s no such thing as a small act of kindness. Every act creates a ripple with no logical end.
– Scott Adams
19. Your greatness is measured by your kindness; your education and intellect by your modesty; your ignorance is betrayed by your suspicions and prejudices, and your real caliber is measured by the consideration and tolerance you have for others.
– William J.H. Boetcker
20. Wherever there is a human in need, there is an opportunity for kindness and to make a difference.
No act of kindness is too small. The gift of kindness may start as a small ripple that over time can turn into a tidal wave affecting the lives of many.
21. What wisdom can you find that is greater than kindness?
22. We think too much and feel too little. More than machinery, we need humanity. More than cleverness, we need kindness and gentleness.
– Charlie Chaplin
23. Unexpected kindness is the most powerful, least costly, and most underrated agent of human change.
– Bob Kerrey
24. Three things in human life are important: the first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind.
– Henry James
25. There is overwhelming evidence that the higher the level of self-esteem, the more likely one will be to treat others with respect, kindness, and generosity.
– Nathaniel Branden
26. The words of kindness are more healing to a drooping heart than balm or honey.
– Sarah Fielding
27. The best portion of a good man’s life. His little, nameless, unremembered acts of kindness and of love.
28. The best part of life is not just surviving, but thriving with passion and compassion and humor and style and generosity and kindness.
29. Real kindness seeks no return; What return can the world make to rain clouds?
30. No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.
31. Kindness is an inner desire that makes us want to do good things even if we do not get anything in return. It is the joy of our life to do them. When we do good things from this inner desire, there is kindness in everything we think, say, want and do.
– Emanuel Swedenborg
32. In life you can never be too kind or too fair; everyone you meet is carrying a heavy load. When you go through your day expressing kindness and courtesy to all you meet, you leave behind a feeling of warmth and good cheer, and you help alleviate the burdens everyone is struggling with.
– Brian Tracy
33. I shall pass this way but once; any good that I can do or any kindness I can show to any human being; let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
– Etienne de Grellet
34. I have this theory that if one person can go out of their way to show compassion, then it will start a chain reaction of the same. People will never know how far a little kindness can go.
– Rachel Joy Scott
35. I expect to pass through life but once. If therefore, there be any kindness I can show, or any good thing I can do to any fellow being, let me do it now, and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again.
36. Good words bring good feelings to the heart. Speak with kindness, always.
– Rod Williams
37. Forget injuries, never forget kindnesses.
38. Carry out a random act of kindness, with no expectation of reward, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you.
39. Ask yourself: Have you been kind today? Make kindness your modus operandi and change your world.
– Annie Lennox
40. A tree is known by its fruit; a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost; he who sows courtesy reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.
– Saint Basil
41. Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
42. Love and kindness are never wasted. They always make a difference.
43. The positive effect of kindness on the immune system and on the increased production of serotonin in the brain has been proved on research studies. Serotonin is a naturally occurring substance in the body that makes us feel more comfortable, peaceful, and even blissful. In fact the role of most anti-depressants is to stimulate the serotonin production to alleviate depression. Research has shown that a simple act of kindness directed toward another improves the functioning of the immune system and stimulates production of serotonin in both the recipient of the kindness and the person extending the kindness. Even more amazing is that persons observing the act of kindness have similar beneficial results. Imagine this: kindness extended, received, or observed beneficially impacts the physical health and feelings of everyone involved.
44. Kindness in words creates confidence. Kindness in thinking creates profoundness. Kindness in giving creates love.
– Lao Tzu
45. Share your good with others. Kindness, love, and appreciation are the greatest gifts you can give.
46. You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
47. The very nature of kindness is to spread. If you are kind to others, today they will be kind to you, and tomorrow to somebody else.
48. O, heavenly Father, protect and bless all things that have breath; guard them from all evil, and let them sleep in peace.
49. No kind action ever stops with itself. One kind action leads to another. Good example is followed. A single act of kindness throws out roots in all directions, and the roots spring up and make new trees. The greatest work that kindness does to others is that it makes them kind themselves.
– Frederick William Faber, sermon “On Kindness in General”
50. Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness.
51. Everyone is fighting their own battle. To be free from their past. To live in their present. To create their future. So have heart.
– Author Unknown
52. Be a rainbow in someone else’s cloud.
53. Don’t be angry with children, you’ve come along the same way. Don’t laugh at old people; you’d go to the same way.
– Japanese Proverb
54. Treat EVERYONE with kindness (yes, even people who are rude to you), not because they are nice, but because YOU ARE!
– Timber Hawkeye
55. When we know ourselves to be connected to all others, acting compassionately is simply the natural thing to do.
56. You have the power to make the world a better place by being kind to someone today.
Say something kind and encouraging to everyone you meet, and people will always be happy to see you coming.
57. Be kind to every kind, not just mankind.
Kindness is a choice. A good choice.
– Anthony Douglas Williams
58. Where kindness is concerned, make no distinction between humans and other living beings.
– Timber Hawkeye
59. We may scatter the seeds of courtesy and kindness around us at so little expense. Some of them will inevitably fall on good ground, and grow up into benevolence in the minds of others: and all of them will bear fruit of happiness …
– Jeremy Bentham
60. Use kindness as currency, it yields great returns on your investment.
– Timber Hawkeye
61. Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain which grows flowers, not thunder.
62. Start with good intentions and one will head in the right direction. Make good vows and one will have the strength to contribute.
Do whatever it takes to do what is right. Do whatever it takes to not do what is wrong.
63. Let the rays of your heart shine on all who pass by.
– Terri Guillemets
64. Kindness makes the world more beautiful.
Small changes can make a world of difference.
Be kind. Make someone’s life a little bit better today. Repeat tomorrow.
– Symphony of Love
65. Give without expecting anything in return (not even a thank you). That is unconditional kindness … everything else is ego.
– Timber Hawkeye
66. What we have done for ourselves alone, dies with us; what we have done for others and the world, remains and is immortal.
– Albert Pike
67. If you can’t be somebody’s sunshine, don’t be a cloud which blocks their sunshine away.
– Marinela Reka
68. In the long run, the sharpest weapon of all is a kind and gentle spirit.
69. Life’s as kind as you let it be.
– Charles Bukowski
70. Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
– Ian Maclaren (Rev. John Watson)
71. Consider it: every person you have ever met, every person will suffer the loss of his friends and family. All are going to lose everything they love in this world. Why would one want to be anything but kind to them in the meantime?
– Sam Harris
72. Be kind to unkind people. They need it the most.
– Ashleigh Brilliant
73. The reality is that doing good unto others actually does more good for you.
Anyone who takes the time to be kind is beautiful.
– Richelle E. Goodrich
74. There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle, or the mirror that reflects it.
– Edith Wharton
75. All the darkness in the world cannot extinguish the light of a single candle.
76. It all comes to this: the simplest way to be happy is to do good.
77. Do your little bit of good where you are; it’s those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.
78. Wise sayings often fall on barren ground, but a kind word is never thrown away.
– Arthur Helps
79. When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people.
– Abraham Joshua Heschel
80. This is the way of peace — overcome evil with good, and falsehood with truth, and hatred with love.
If you want to serve the universe, the obvious place to begin is right where you are. That’s where I began. I looked at every situation I came into and wondered, ‘What can I do to be of service in this situation?’ Sometimes there was nothing I could do, but often there was – a helping hand, a word of cheer, a pleasant smile. Then, after I had given a lot, a most wonderful spiritual receiving began – giving me more to give.
– Peace Pilgrim
81. Be aware of the ripples you generate, through thoughts, words and action. Create positivity for your life and others.
– Bronnie Ware
82. Give. Even when you know you can get nothing back.
Be a blessing to others and you will be blessed.
– Yasmin Mogahed
83. Being kind and gracious as a human doesn’t mean being weak and pathetic. Just means you’re kind and gracious.
One of the best things about a new day is the fresh chance to be good to another human being.
Every person you pass during the moments that make up your days represents an opportunity to show a little more of the compassion and courtesy that define your humanity. (Who Will Cry When You Die?)
Just Be Kinder. We are all members of one large family on a small planet in a big galaxy. (Twitter, 2 August 2017)
– Robin Sharma
84. He who receives kindness should never forget it; but he who performs it should never remember it.
– Author Unknown
85. I cannot do all the good that the world needs. But the world needs all the good that I can do.
– Jana Stanfield
86. Don’t try to be different. Just be good. To be good is different enough.
– Arthur Freed
87. The world can always benefit from more kindness. Give it some more, every chance you get.
Kindness inspires more kindness. A little bit of kindness can go a long, long way. (Twitter, 11 Oct 2016)
– Ralph Marston
88. Kindness begins with the understanding that we all struggle.
– Charles Glassman
89. Every minute we spend tearing someone down is a minute we could spend building someone else up. The latter is much greater use of our power.
90. Never deny or waste an opportunity to be kind to others, even if some people have been unkind to you. The two are not related.
91. Do for one what you wish you could do for everyone.
– Andy Stanley
92. You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.
– John Bunyan
93. When you feel the suffering of every living thing in your own heart, that’s consciousness.
– Bhagavad Gita
94. Be kinder to yourself. And then let your kindness flood the world.
95. Don’t wait for extraordinary circumstances to do good; try to use ordinary situations.
– Charles Richter
96. Kindness unlocks many doors.
– Katrina Mayer
97. You can be both powerful and kind at the same time.
– Anthony Gucciardi
98. Help people, even when you know they can’t help you back.
– Author Unknown
99. Leave footprints of kindness wherever you go.
– Author Unknown
100. If speaking kindly to plants helps them grow then imagine what speaking kindly to humans can do.
– Author Unknown
101. Be a good person, but don’t waste your time trying to prove it. (Twitter, 13 July 2017)
102. May we meet the suffering of others with compassion.
103. The first rule of kindness is to be kind to yourself. (Source)
– Bryant McGill
104. The words of the tongue should have three gatekeepers: Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary?
– Arabian Proverb
105. Never say mean words out of anger. Your anger will pass. But your mean words can scar a person for life. So use kind words or be silent.
– Author Unknown
106. Having a soft heart in a cruel world is courage, not weakness.
– Katherine Henson
107. Any kindness in your heart becomes kindness in the world.