Lorraine Hansberry Love Quotes and Sayings
Mama: There is always something left to love. And if you ain’t learned that, you ain’t learned nothing. (Looking at her) Have you cried for that boy today? I don’t mean for yourself and for the family ’cause we lost the money. I mean for him: what he been through and what it done to him. Child, when do you think is the time to love somebody the most? When they done good and made things easy for everybody? Well then, you ain’t through learning – because that ain’t the time at all. It’s when he’s at his lowest and can’t believe in himself ’cause the world done whipped him so! when you starts measuring somebody, measure him right, child, measure him right. Make sure you done taken into account what hills and valleys he come through before he got to wherever he is.
2. I wish to live because life has within it that which is good, that which is beautiful, and that which is love. Therefore, since I have known all of these things, I have found them to be reason enough and – I wish to live. Moreover, because this is so, I wish others to live for generations and generations and generations and generations.
Sayings by Lorraine Hansberry
1. The thing that makes you exceptional, if you are at all, is inevitably that which must also make you lonely.
2. Never be afraid to sit awhile and think.
3. “I want to fly! I want to touch the sun!” “Finish your eggs first.”
4. ‘It’s dangerous, son.’ ‘What’s dangerous?’ ‘When a man goes outside his house to look for peace.’
5. A woman who is willing to be herself and pursue her own potential runs not so much the risk of loneliness, as the challenge of exposure to more interesting men – and people in general.