Mortimer Adler Love Quotes and Sayings
2. Conjugal love, or the friendship of spouses, can persist even after sexual desires have weakened, withered, and disappeared.
3. Erotic or sexual love can truly be love if it is not selfishly sexual or lustful.
Sayings by Mortimer Adler
1. Ask others about themselves, at the same time, be on guard not to talk too much about yourself.
2. Freedom is the emancipation from the arbitrary rule of other men.
3. I wonder if most people ever ask themselves why love is connected with reproduction. And if they do ask themselves about this, I wonder what answer they give.
4. If one wants another only for some self-satisfaction, usually in the form of sensual pleasure, that wrong desire takes the form of lust rather than love.
5. In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but how many can get through to you.
6. It is love rather than sexual lust or unbridled sexuality if, in addition to the need or want involved, there is also some impulse to give pleasure to the persons thus loved and not merely to use them for our own selfish pleasure.
7. The purpose of learning is growth, and our minds, unlike our bodies, can continue growing as we continue to live.
8. We are selfish when we are exclusively or predominantly concerned with the good for ourselves. We are altruistic when we are exclusively or predominantly concerned with the good of others.
9. You have to allow a certain amount of time in which you are doing nothing in order to have things occur to you, to let your mind think.