More than 64 love quotes and sayings about mother and counting. Can’t find the right words for your mother? These quotes and sayings would surely give you inspiration. But remember, sometimes the best spoken words are a simple hug and ‘I Love you.’
1. To a child’s ear, “mother” is magic in any language.
- Arlene Benedict
2. When you are a mother, you are never really alone in your thoughts. A mother always has to think twice, once for herself and once for her child.
3. A mother is the truest friend we have, when trials heavy and sudden, fall upon us; when adversity takes the place of prosperity; when friends who rejoice with us in our sunshine desert us; when trouble thickens around us, still will she cling to us, and endeavor by her kind precepts and counsels to dissipate the clouds of darkness, and cause peace to return to our hearts.
The tie which links mother and child is of such pure and immaculate strength as to be never violated.
Youth fades; love droops; the leaves of friendship fall; a mother’s secret hope outlives them all!
A father may turn his back on his child, brothers and sisters may become inveterate enemies, husbands may desert their wives, wives their husbands. But a mother’s love endures through all.
4. A mother’s love is patient and forgiving when all others are forsaking, it never fails or falters, even though the heart is breaking.
5. Life began with waking up and loving my mother’s face.
6. The mother-child relationship is paradoxical and, in a sense, tragic. It requires the most intense love on the mother’s side, yet this very love must help the child grow away from the mother, and to become fully independent.
Mother’s love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved.
7. There is no way to be a perfect mother, and a million ways to be a good one.
- Jill Churchill
8. All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.
I regard no man as poor who has a godly mother.
9. I want my children to have all the things I couldn’t afford. Then I want to move in with them.
- Phyllis Diller
10. Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs… since the payment is pure love.
- Mildred B. Vermont
11. Mother is the name of God in the lips and hearts of children.
12. A mother is she who can take the place of all others.
– Cardinal Mermillod
13. A mother is not a person to lean on but a person to make leaning unnecessary.
- Dorothy Canfield Fisher
14. There is only one pretty child in the world, and every mother has it.
- Chinese Proverbs
15. I remember when I was a kid I used to come home from Sunday School and my mother would get drunk and try to make pancakes.
- George Carlin
16. A mother who is really a mother is never free.
17. The heart of a mother is a deep abyss at the bottom of which you will always find forgiveness.
18. A mother’s happiness is like a beacon, lighting up the future but reflected also on the past in the guise of fond memories.
19. For mother’s sake the child was dear, and dearer was the mother for the child.
20. My mother’s love for me was so great I have worked hard to justify it.
- Marc Chagall
21. No influence is so powerful as that of the mother.
- Sarah Josepha Hale
22. A good mother is worth hundreds of schoolmasters.
- George Herbert
23. A mother loves her children even when they least deserve to be loved.
- Kate Samperi
24. Who ran to help me when I fell, Or kissed the place to make it well? …. My mother.
- Ann Taylor
25. All I am I owe to my mother.
26. It takes a woman twenty years to make a man of her son, and another woman twenty minutes to make a fool of him.
27. The mother loves her child most divinely, not when she surrounds him with comfort and anticipates his wants, but when she resolutely holds him to the highest standards and is content with nothing less than his best.
- Hamilton Wright Mabie
28. Mothers all want their sons to grow up to be President, but they don’t want them to become politicians in the process.
- John Fitzgerald Kennedy
29. Mothers are all slightly insane.
- J. D. Salinger
30. Mothers are fonder than fathers of their children because they are more certain they are their own.
31. Some are kissing mothers and some are scolding mothers, but it is love just the same, and most mothers kiss and scold together.
- Pearl S. Buck
32. There’s a lot more to being a woman than being a mother, but there’s a hell a lot more to being a mother than most people suspect.
- Roseanne Barr
33. Few misfortunes can befall a boy which bring worse consequences than to have a really affectionate mother.
- William Somerset Maugham
34. Only mothers can think of the future-because they give birth to it in their children.
- Maxim Gorky
35. If I had a choice of educating my daughters or my sons because of opportunity constraints, I would choose to educate my daughters.
36. All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That’s his.
37. And it came to me, and I knew what I had to have before my soul would rest. I wanted to belong – to belong to my mother. And in return – I wanted my mother to belong to me.
38. When you look into your mother’s eyes, you know that is the purest love you can find on this earth.
39. Because I am a mother, I am capable of being shocked; as I never was when I was not one.
40. Who is getting more pleasure from this rocking, the baby or me?
- Nancy Thayer
41. Making a decision to have a child – it’s momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body.
- Elizabeth Stone
42. There will be so many times you feel like you’ve failed. But in the eyes, heart and mind of your child you are super mom.
- Stephanie Precourt
43. A mother is a person who seeing there are only four pieces of pie for five people, promptly announces she never did care for pie.
- Elizabeth Stone
44. God could not be everywhere and therefore he made mothers.
- Jewish Proverb
45. A little girl, asked where her home was, replied “where mother is.”
- Keith L. Brooks
46. A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest.
- Irish Proverb
47. Being a mother is learning about strengths you didn’t know you had, and dealing with fears you didn’t know existed.
- Linda Wooten
48. A mother had a slender, small body, but a large heart – a heart so large that everybody’s grief and everybody’s joy found welcome in it, and hospitable accommodation.
49. Becoming a mother makes you the mother of all children. From now on each wounded, abandoned, frightened child is yours. You live in the suffering mothers of every race and creed and weep with them. You long to comfort all who are desolate.
– Charlotte Gray
50. For the hand that rocks the cradle Is the hand that rules the world.
– William Ross Wallace
51. Great mothers build bridges instead of walls.
- Reed Markham
52. Grown don’t mean nothing to a mother. A child is a child. They get bigger, older, but grown. In my heart it don’t mean a thing.
53. Hundreds of dewdrops to greet the dawn, Hundreds of bees in the purple clover, Hundreds of butterflies on the lawn, But only one mother the wide world over.
- George Cooper
54. Most of all the other beautiful things in life come by twos and threes by dozens and hundreds. Plenty of roses, stars, sunsets, rainbows, brothers, and sisters, aunts and cousins, but only one mother in the whole world.
- Kate Douglas Wiggin
55. Mother – that was the bank where we deposited all our hurts and worries.
– T. DeWitt Talmage
56. Motherhood has a very humanizing effect. Everything gets reduced to essentials.
- Meryl Streep
57. Before you were conceived, I wanted you. Before you were born, I loved you. Before you were an hour, I would die for you. This is the miracle of love.
- Maureen Hawkins
58. On Mother’s Day I have written a poem for you. In the interest of poetic economy and truth, I have succeeded in concentrating my deepest feelings and beliefs into two perfectly crafted lines: You’re my mother, I would have no other!
– Forest Houtenschil
59. My mother … she is beautiful, softened at the edges and tempered with a spine of steel. I want to grow old and be like her.
60. As mothers and daughters, we are connected with one another. My mother is the bones of my spine, keeping me straight and true. She is my blood, making sure it runs rich and strong. She is the beating of my heart. I cannot now imagine a life without her.
- Kristin Hannah
61. Sweater, n. Garment worn by child when its mother is feeling chilly.
- Ambrose Bierce
62. Mothers and their children are in a category all their own. There’s no bond so strong in the entire world. No love so instantaneous and forgiving.
- Gail Tsukiyama
63. Before becoming a mother I had a hundred theories on how to bring up children. Now I have seven children and only one theory: love them, especially when they least deserve to be loved.
- Kate Samperi
64. The only love that I really believe in is a mother’s love for her children.
- Karl Lagerfeld
Photo credit: Larisa Okhtienko
65. No language can express the power and beauty and heroism of a mother’s love.
- Edwin H. Chapin
The Gift Mom Will LOVE!
Create your own custom book of reasons why you love her.