Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr Love Quotes and Sayings
2. Love is the master-key that opens the gates of happiness, of hatred, of jealousy, and, most easily of all, the gate of fear.
3. The sound of a kiss is not as loud as that of a cannon, but its echo lasts a great deal longer.
4. Youth fades; love droops; the leaves of friendship fall: A mother’s secret hope outlives them all.
Excerpt from Wikipedia: Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr. (August 29, 1809 – October 7, 1894) was an American physician, poet, professor, lecturer, and author based in Boston. A member of the Fireside Poets, his peers acclaimed him as one of the best writers of the day. His most famous prose works are the “Breakfast-Table” series, which began with The Autocrat of the Breakfast-Table (1858). He was also an important medical reformer.
Sayings from Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.
1. A moment’s insight is sometimes worth a life’s experience.
2. Don’t be ‘consistent,’ but be simply true.
3. Man’s mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.
4. The young man knows the rules but the old man knows the exceptions.
5. I find the great thing in this world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving: To reach the port of heaven, we must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it – but we must sail, and not drift, nor lie at anchor.
6. We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing.
7. When we plant a tree, we are doing what we can to make our planet a more wholesome and happier dwelling-place for those who come after us if not for ourselves.
8. The mind of a bigot is like the pupil of an eye. The more light you shine on it, the more it will contract.
9. It’s faith in something and enthusiasm for something that makes a life worth living.
10. Insanity is often the logic of an accurate mind overtasked.
11. The books we read should be chosen with great care, that they may be, as an Egyptian king wrote over his library,’The medicines of the soul.
12. What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
13. Death tugs at my ear and says, ‘Live. I am coming.
14. Speak clearly if you speak at all, carve every word before you let it fall.
15. Learn the sweet magic of a cheerful face.