Paulo Coelho Quotes and Sayings
#1 Paulo Coelho’s Website, 30 July 2008
1. In love lies the seed of our growth. The more we love, the closer we are to the spiritual experience.
#2 Eleven Minutes, Chapter 10
2. All my life, I thought of love as some kind of voluntary enslavement. Well, that’s a lie: freedom only exists when love is present. The person who gives him or herself wholly, the person who feels freest, is the person who loves most wholeheartedly.
#3-6 From the diary of Maria, the prostitute in Eleven Minutes
3. Love is not to be found in someone else, but in ourselves; we simply awaken it. But in order to do that, we need the other person. The universe only makes sense when we have someone to share our feelings with.
4. In love, no one can harm anyone else; we are each of us responsible for our own feelings and cannot blame someone else for what we feel.
5. If I must be faithful to someone or something, then I have, first of all, to be faithful to myself.
6. Love one another, but let’s not try to possess one another.
#7-9 The Alchemist, 1988
7. Because when we love, we always strive to become better than we are.
8. One is loved because one is loved. No reason is needed for loving.
9. Love is the force that transforms and improves the soul of the world.
#10 Twitter, 11 December 2010
10. Love perseveres. It’s people who change.
#11 Twitter, 19 June 2014
11. If everybody loves you, something is wrong. You can’t please everybody.
#12 Twitter, 18 December 2012
12. We don’t need to explain our love. We only need to show it.
13. If you love someone, you must be prepared to set them free.
#14 La vida es corta: besa despacio, ríe bien alto, ama intensamente y perdona rápido (Aleph)
14. Life is short. Kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
#15 The Zahir: A Novel of Obsession
15. The energy of hatred won’t get you anywhere; but the energy of forgiveness, which reveals itself through love, will transform your life in a positive way.
#16 Twitter, 1 April 2017
16. Live simply. Dream big. Be grateful. Give love. Laugh lots.
#17 Facebook, 31 May 2016
17. Love is what makes you smile when you’re tired.
#18 Twitter, 6 February 2014
18. Life sometimes separates people so that they can realize how much they mean to each other.
#19 Aleph, 2011
19. Love always triumphs over what we call death. That’s why there’s no need to grieve for our loved ones, because they continue to be loved and remain by our side.
Excerpt from Wikipedia: Paulo Coelho (born August 24, 1947) is a Brazilian lyricist and novelist.
In 1986, Coelho walked the 500-plus mile Road of Santiago de Compostela in northwestern Spain, a turning point in his life. On the path, Coelho had a spiritual awakening, which he described autobiographically in The Pilgrimage. In an interview, Coelho stated “[In 1986], I was very happy in the things I was doing. I was doing something that gave me food and water — to use the metaphor in The Alchemist, I was working, I had a person who I loved, I had money, but I was not fulfilling my dream. My dream was, and still is, to be a writer.” Coelho would leave his lucrative career as a songwriter and pursue writing full-time.
Paulo Coelho Sayings
#1-9 Aleph, 2011
1. Past and future exist only in our memory. The present moment, though, is outside of time, it’s Eternity.
2. In magic—and in life—there is only the present moment, the now. You can’t measure time the way you measure the distance between two points. “Time” doesn’t pass.
3. Life has been very hard on me, but, at the same time, it has taught me a great deal.
4. It isn’t what you did in the past that will affect the present. It’s what you do in the present that will redeem the past and thereby change the future.
5. We are not the person other people wish we were. We are who we decide to be.
6. Only mediocrity is sure of itself, so take risks, and do what you really want to do.
7. What hurts us is what heals us.
8. When I knocked, the door opened. When I looked, I found.
9. To live is to experience things, not sit around pondering the meaning of life.
#10 Dona M. Deane: Honor Your Gifts, 2007, p. 199.
10. There is suffering in life, and there are defeats. No one can avoid them. But it’s better to lose some of the battles in the struggles for your dreams than to be defeated without ever knowing what you’re fighting for.
#11 Twitter, 27 September 2010
11. Our dreams give us strength to perform impossible tasks.
#12 Facebook, 12 October 2010: No pongas tus sueños en manos de aquellos que pueden destruirlos
12. Don’t place your dreams in the hands of those whom can destroy them.
#13 Twitter, 25 May 2017
13. Your past is just a lesson, not a life sentence.
#14 Facebook, 18 May 2014
14. Life can seem short or life can seem long, depending on how you live it.
#15 Twitter, 22 Apr 2011
15. You are the light of the world. Shine, and darkness will disappear.
#16 Facebook, 12 December 2009
16. Joy goes against the foundations of mathematics: it multiplies when we divide.
#17 Facebook, 10 May 2011
17. Many people are afraid to hope. They want to be prepared for failure.
#18-22 Closing cycles, 27 December 2016
18. Before a new chapter is begun, the old one has to be finished: tell yourself that what has passed will never come back.
19. Remember that there was a time when you could live without that thing or that person – nothing is irreplaceable, a habit is not a need.
20. Things pass, and the best we can do is to let them really go away.
21. Closing cycles. Not because of pride, incapacity or arrogance, but simply because that no longer fits your life.
22. Stop being who you were, and change into who you are.
#23 Twitter, 2 October 2012
23. Close some doors today. Not because of pride, incapacity or arrogance, but simply because they lead you nowhere.
#24 Twitter, 27 July 2015
24. Life has a way of testing a person’s will, either by having nothing happen at all or by having everything happen at once.
#25 Twitter, 13 February 2011
25. If you act like a victim, you are likely to be treated as one.
#26 Twitter, 4 August 2013
26. One day you will wake up and there won’t be any more time to do the things you’ve always wanted. Do it now.
#27 Facebook, 9 April 2012
27. Don’t explain. Your friends do not need it, and your enemies will not believe you.
#28 Twitter, 8 June 2012
28. Do something instead of killing time. Because time is killing you.
#29 Twitter, 20 November 2012
29. Straight roads do not make skillful drivers.
#30 Twitter, 10 May 2013
30. I refuse to walk carefully through life only to arrive safely at death.
#31 Twitter, 18 April 2012
31. If you’re brave enough to say good bye, life will reward you with a new hello.
#32-34 Eleven Minutes, 2003
32. I can choose either to be a victim of the world or an adventurer in search of treasure. It’s all a question of how I view my life.
33. Life always waits for some crisis to occur before revealing itself at its most brilliant.
34. No one loses anyone, because no one owns anyone. That is the true experience of freedom: having the most important thing in the world without owning it.
#35 Twitter, 3 June 2012
35. The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.
#36 Twitter, 29 November 2012
36. A boat is safe in the harbor. But this is not the purpose of a boat.
#37 Facebook, 24 March 2014
37. Follow your dreams, transform your life.
#38 Twitter, 16 April 2013
38. Don’t allow your wounds to transform you into someone you are not.
#39 Facebook, 16 April 2012
39. Be brave. Take risks. Nothing can substitute experience.
#40 Twitter, 13 June 2017
40. If it’s not gonna matter in 5 months don’t be upset for more than 5 minutes.
#41 Twitter, 16 January 2017
41. Life takes us by surprise and orders us to move toward the unknown – even when we think we don’t need to.
#42 Twitter, 2 June 2017
42. Life is strange: people who know the least about you always have the most to say, suggest and criticize.
43. No one can go back, but everyone can go forward. And tomorrow, when the sun rises, all you have to say to yourselves is: I am going to think of this day as the first day of my life.
#44 Twitter, 20 August 2013
44. Fight for your dreams, and your dreams will fight for you.
#45 The Alchemist
45. The secret is here in the present. If you pay attention to the present, you can improve upon it. And, if you improve on the present, what comes later will also be better.
#46 Twitter, 12 January 2011
46. To enjoy the rainbow, first enjoy the rain.
#47 Twitter, 9 March 2010
47. Trust and start walking. We are not alone in the dark, our path will unfold as we move.
#48-51 MANUSCRIPT FOUND IN ACCRA
48. Help us to know that when our legs are tired, we can keep walking thanks to the strength in our hearts, and that when our hearts are tired, we can still carry on thanks to the strength of our Faith.
49. Success does not come from having one’s work recognised by others. It is the fruit of the seed that you lovingly planted.
50. To him who knocks, the door will open. He who asks will receive. He who consoles knows that he will be consoled.
51. You will only be loved and respected if you love and respect yourself. Never try to please everyone; if you do, you will be respected by no one.
#52 Facebook, 25 April 2014
52. All life battles teach us something, even those we lose.
53. There are moments when troubles enter our lives and we can do nothing to avoid them. But they are there for a reason. Only when we have overcome them will we understand why they were there.
#54 The Devil and Miss Prym, 2000
54. When we least expect it, life sets us a challenge to test our courage and willingness to change; at such a moment, there is no point in pretending that nothing has happened or in saying that we are not ready.
#55 Twitter, 24 July 2013
55. None of us knows what might happen even the next minute, yet still we go forward. Because we trust. Because we have Faith
#56 Facebook, 27 June 2014
56. It is useless to suffer for things we can not change, as it is useless to suffer for things we can.
#57 Facebook, 5 July 2014
57. No life is complete without a touch of madness.
#58 Twitter, 19 February 2015
58. Heaven and hell aren’t places, but states. You don’t need to die to know both.
#59 Twitter, 23 August 2015
59. Wasted time is worse than wasted money.
#60 Adultery: A novel
60. We can’t choose our lives, but we can decide what to do with the joys or griefs we’re given.
#61 Facebook, 24 May 2016
61. Never ruin a good day by thinking about a bad yesterday.
#62 Brida, 1990
62. When you find your path, you must not be afraid. You need to have sufficient courage to make mistakes. Disappointment, defeat, and despair are the tools God uses to show us the way.
63. They are so anxious about the future, that they neglect the present, and thus live in neither the present nor the future. They live as if they were never going to die, and die as if they had never lived.
#64-71 The Alchemist, 1988
64. We warriors of light must be prepared to have patience in difficult times and to know the Universe is conspiring in our favor, even though we may not understand how.
65. The secret of life, though, is to fall seven times and to get up eight times.
66. It’s the simple things in life that are the most extraordinary; only wise men are able to understand them.
67. When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.
68. Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself. And no heart has ever suffered when it goes in search of its dream.
69. There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.
70. Wherever your heart is, that is where you’ll find your treasure.
71. There is only one way to learn. It’s through action. Everything you need to know you have learned through your journey.
72. You have to take risks, he said. We will only understand the miracle of life fully when we allow the unexpected to happen.
#73 Twitter, 28 October 2014
73. Telling the truth and making someone cry is better than telling a lie to make someone laugh.
#74 Twitter, 13 July 2017
74. Be a good person, but don’t waste your time trying to prove it.
#75 Twitter, 25 July 2017
75. There comes a point in your life when you realize what really matters, what never did, and what always will.
#76 Twitter, 5 August 2017
76. Things worth having are worth waiting for.
#77 Publishing Tips: Weekly Strategies for the Independent Writer, Linda A. Lavid, 2008, p. 57.
77. You drown not by falling into a river, but by staying submerged in it.
#78 Twitter, 2 September 2017
78. Patience is not about waiting, but how we act when things take longer than we expect.
#79 Twitter, 26 September 2017
79. Friendship isn’t about whom you have known the longest. It’s about who came and never left.
#80 Twitter, 12 October 2017
80. Take the first chance that you get because you may never get another one.
Unsourced Paulo Coelho Quotes
1. When we love, it is not necessary to understand what is happening outside, because everything happens inside us instead.
2. When you love, things make even more sense.
3. Certain things in life simply have to be experienced and never explained. Love is such a thing.
4. Love creates bridges where it would seem they were impossible.
5. You can’t preserve your emotions in formal. Love changes with time and discovers new ways of expressing itself.
6. You can’t avoid pain, but you can chose to overcome it.
7. Every time you wish something, keep your eyes wide open, focus and know exactly what you want. No one hits the target with eyes closed.
8. Don’t expect to get anything back, don’t expect recognition for your efforts, don’t expect your genius to be discovered or your love to be understood. Act because you need to act.
9. There are moments when you must be prepared to take a risk to do something crazy.
10. I learned long ago that in order to heal my wounds, I must have the courage to face up to them.