Richard Bach Love Quotes and Sayings
#1 The Bridge Across Forever
1. The only thing that matters, at the end of a stay on earth, is how well did we love, what was the quality of our love?
Excerpt from Wikipedia: Richard David Bach (born June 23, 1936) is an American writer. He is widely known as the author of the hugely popular 1970s best-sellers Jonathan Livingston Seagull
Sayings by Richard Bach
#1-3 The Bridge Across Forever
1. There are no mistakes. The events we bring upon ourselves, no matter how unpleasant, are necessary in order to learn what we need to learn; whatever steps we take, they’re necessary to reach the places we’ve chosen to go.
2. No one does anything uncharacteristic of who they are.
3. That’s what learning is, after all; not whether we lose the game, but how we lose and how we’ve changed because of it and what we take away from it that we never had before, to apply to other games. Losing, in a curious way, is winning.
#4-5 Jonathan Livingston Seagull, 1970
4. Don’t believe what your eyes are telling you. All they show is limitation. Look with your understanding.
5. We can lift ourselves out of ignorance, we can find ourselves as creatures of excellence and intelligence and skill.
#6-13 Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah
6. Every person, all the events in your life are there because you have drawn them there. What you choose to do with them is up to you.
7. If your happiness depends on what somebody else does, I guess you do have a problem.
8. Learning is finding out what you already know. Doing is demonstrating that you know it. Teaching is reminding others that they know just as well as you. You are all learners, doers, and teachers.
9. The bond that links your true family is not one of blood, but of respect and joy in each other’s life. Rarely do members of one family grow up under the same roof.
10. Your friends will know you better in the first minute you meet than your acquaintances will know you in a thousand years.
11. The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls a butterfly.
12. Your only obligation in any lifetime is to be true to yourself. Being true to anyone else or anything else is not only impossible, but the mark of a fake messiah.
13. I do not exist to impress the world. I exist to live my life in a way that will make me happy.
#14 Nothing by Chance: A Gypsy Pilot’s Adventures in Modern America, 1969
14. Nothing happens by chance, my friend … No such thing as luck. A meaning behind every little thing, and such a meaning behind this. Part for you, part for me, we may not see it all real clear right now, but we will, before long.
#15-24 Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah
15. You are never given a wish without also being given the power to make it true. You may have to work for it, however.
16. I am tired of clinging. Though I cannot see it with my eyes, I trust that the current knows where it is going. I shall let go and let it take me where it will. Clinging, I shall die of boredom.
17. A cloud does not know why it moves in just such a direction and at such a speed, it feels an impulsion … this is the place to go now. But the sky knows the reason and the patterns behind all clouds, and you will know, too, when you lift yourself high enough to see beyond horizons.
18. Don’t be dismayed at goodbyes. A farewell is necessary before you can meet again. And meeting again, after moments or lifetimes, is certain for those who are friends.
19. Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they’re yours.
20. Here is a test to find whether your mission on earth is finished: If you’re alive, it isn’t.
21. In order to live free and happily, you must sacrifice boredom. It is not always an easy sacrifice.
22. There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in its hands. You seek problems because you need their gifts.
23. Believe you know all the answers, and you know all answers. Believe you’re a master, and you are.
24. To bring anything into your life, imagine that it’s already there.
#25 Jonathan Livingston Seagull, 1970
25. For most gulls, it is not flying that matters, but eating. For this gull, though, it was not eating that mattered, but flight.
#26-29 Messiah’s Handbook – Reminders for the Advanced Soul
26. One challenge of your adventure on earth is to rise above dead systems: wars, religions, nations, destructions – to refuse to be part of them, and express instead the highest self.
27. Your conscience is the measure of the honesty of your selfishness. Listen to it carefully.
28. You are lead through your lifetime by the inner learning creature, the playful spiritual being that is your real self. Don’t turn away from possible futures before you’re certain you don’t have anything to learn from them. You’re always free to change your mind and choose a different future, or a different past.
29. The world is your exercise book, the pages on which you do your sums. It is not reality, although you can express reality there if you wish. You are also free to write nonsense, or lies, or tear the pages.
30. A soulmate is someone who has locks that fit our keys, and keys to fit our locks. When we feel safe enough to open the locks, our truest selves step out and we can be completely and honestly who we are; we can be loved for who we are and not for who we’re pretending to be. Each unveils the best part of the other. No matter what else goes wrong around us, with that one person we’re safe in our own paradise. Our soulmate is someone who shares our deepest longings, our sense of direction. When we’re two balloons, and together our direction is up, chances are we’ve found the right person. Our soulmate is the one who makes life come to life.
#31 Running from Safety: An Adventure of the Spirit, 1994
31. If it’s never our fault, we can’t take responsibility for it. If we can’t take responsibility for it, we’ll always be its victim.
Unsourced Richard Bach Quotes
1. A tiny change today brings a dramatically different tomorrow.
2. It doesn’t take time to change once you understand the problem…Somebody hands you a rattlesnake, it doesn’t take long to drop it, does it?