Andre Gide Love Quotes and Sayings
2. I wished for nothing beyond her smile, and to walk with her thus, hand in hand, along a sun-warmed, flower-bordered path.
Sayings by Andre Gide
1. A straight path never leads anywhere except to the objective.
2. Art begins with resistance – at the point where resistance is overcome. No human masterpiece has ever been created without great labor.
3. Art is the collaboration between God and the artist, and the less the artist does the better.
4. Be faithful to that which exists within yourself.
5. Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it.
6. Complete possession is proved only by giving. All you are unable to give possesses you.
7. Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again.
8. God depends on us. It is through us that God is achieved.
9. I owe much to my friends; but, all things considered, it strikes me that I owe even more to my enemies. The real person springs life under a sting even better than under a caress.
10. It is only in adventure that some people succeed in knowing themselves – in finding themselves.
11. Nothing prevents happiness like the memory of happiness.
12. One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time.
13. Sin is whatever obscures the soul.
14. Through loyalty to the past, our mind refuses to realize that tomorrow’s joy is possible only if today’s makes way for it; that each wave owes the beauty of its line only to the withdrawal of the preceding one.
15. To know how to free oneself is nothing; the arduous thing is to know what to do with one’s freedom.
16. It is now, and in this world, that we must live.
17. He who makes great demands upon himself is naturally inclined to make great demands upon others.
18. The most decisive actions of our life – I mean those that are most likely to decide the whole course of our future – are, more often than not, unconsidered.
19. Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.
20. Envying another man’s happiness is madness; you wouldn’t know what to do with it if you had it.
21. Work and struggle and never accept an evil that you can change.
22. Dare to be yourself.
23. He who wants a rose must respect her thorn.
24. Every instant of our lives is essentially irreplaceable: you must know this in order to concentrate on life.