(Francois Marie Arouet) Voltaire Love Quotes and Sayings
2. It is not love that should be depicted as blind, but self-love.
3. She blushed and so did he. She greeted him in a faltering voice, and he spoke to her without knowing what he was saying.
Sayings by Voltaire
1. All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.
2. Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.
3. Anyone who seeks to destroy the passions instead of controlling them is trying to play the angel.
4. Appreciation is a wonderful thing: It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well.
5. Chance is a word void of sense; nothing can exist without a cause.
6. Each player must accept the cards life deals him or her: but once they are in hand, he or she alone must decide how to play the cards in order to win the game.
7. Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do.
8. It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong.
9. It is not sufficient to see and to know the beauty of a work. We must feel and be affected by it.
10. The safest course is to do nothing against one’s conscience. With this secret, we can enjoy life and have no fear from death.
11. What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other’s folly – that is the first law of nature.
12. Judge a man by his questions rather than by his answers.
13. Prejudices are what fools use for reason.
14. Life is thickly sown with thorns, and I know no other remedy than to pass quickly through them. The longer we dwell on our misfortunes, the greater is their power to harm us.
15. The more I read, the more I meditate; and the more I acquire, the more I am enabled to affirm that I know nothing.
16. All men have equal rights to liberty, to their property, and to the protection of the laws.
17. The ear is the avenue to the heart.
18. We cannot wish for that we know not.
19. I have decided to be happy because it’s good for my health.
20. Faith consists in believing when it is beyond the power of reason to believe.