Henry Van Dyke Love Quotes and Sayings
2. Love is the best thing in the world, and the thing that lives the longest.
Sayings by Henry Van Dyke
1. A friend is what the heart needs all the time.
2. A peace that depends on fear is nothing but a suppressed war.
3. Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love, to work, to play, and to look up at the stars.
4. Genius is talent set on fire by courage.
5. Gratitude is the inward feeling of kindness received. Thankfulness is the natural impulse to express that feeling. Thanksgiving is the following of that impulse.
6. Happiness is inward, and not outward; and so, it does not depend on what we have, but on what we are.
7. It is with rivers as it is with people: the greatest are not always the most agreeable nor the best to live with.
8. Some people are so afraid to die that they never begin to live.
9. There is no personal charm so great as the charm of a cheerful temperament.
10. There is only one way to get ready for immortality, and that is to love this life and live it as bravely and faithfully and cheerfully as we can.
11. To desire and strive to be of some service to the world, to aim at doing something which shall really increase the happiness and welfare and virtue of mankind – this is a choice which is possible for all of us; and surely it is a good haven to sail for.
12. Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best.
13. What we do belongs to what we are; and what we are is what becomes of us.
14. What you possess in the world will be found at the day of your death to belong to someone else. But what you are will be yours forever.
15. Gratitude is a twofold love / love coming to visit us, and love running out to greet a welcome guest.