Paulo Coelho Love Quotes and Sayings
2. When we love, it is not necessary to understand what is happening outside, because everything happens inside us instead.
3. When you love, things make even more sense.
4. Freedom only exists when love is present. The person who gives him or herself wholly, the person who feels freest, is the person who loves the most.
5. Love is not to be found in someone else, but in ourselves; we simply awaken it. But in order to do that, we need the other person. The universe only makes sense when we have someone to share our feelings with.
6. Love one another, but let’s not try to possess one another.
7. When we love, we always strive to become better than we are.
#8 The Alchemist, 1988
8. One is loved because one is loved. No reason is needed for loving.
9. Love is the force that transforms and improves the soul of the world.
10. Love perseveres. It’s people who change.
11. If everybody loves you, something is wrong. You can’t please everybody.
12. We don’t need to explain our love. We only need to show it.
13. If you love someone, you must be prepared to set them free.
14. Life is short! Kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
15. Certain things in life simply have to be experienced and never explained. Love is such a thing.
16. Love creates bridges where it would seem they were impossible.
17. The energy of hatred won’t get you anywhere; but the energy of forgiveness, which reveals itself through love, will transform your life in a positive way.
18. Live simply. Dream big. Be grateful. Give love. Laugh lots.
19. Love is what makes you smile when you’re tired.
20. Life sometimes separates people so that they may realize how much they mean to each other.
21. You can’t preserve your emotions in formal. Love changes with time and discovers new ways of expressing itself.
22. Love can change lives for the better.
#23 Aleph, 2011
23. Love always triumphs over what we call death. That’s why there’s no need to grieve for our loved ones, because they continue to be loved and remain by our side.
Excerpt from Wikipedia: Paulo Coelho (born August 24, 1947) is a Brazilian lyricist and novelist.
In 1986, Coelho walked the 500-plus mile Road of Santiago de Compostela in northwestern Spain, a turning point in his life. On the path, Coelho had a spiritual awakening, which he described autobiographically in The Pilgrimage. In an interview, Coelho stated “[In 1986], I was very happy in the things I was doing. I was doing something that gave me food and water — to use the metaphor in The Alchemist, I was working, I had a person who I loved, I had money, but I was not fulfilling my dream. My dream was, and still is, to be a writer.” Coelho would leave his lucrative career as a songwriter and pursue writing full-time.
Sayings by Paulo Coelho
#1-9 Aleph, 2011
1. Past and future exist only in our memory. The present moment, though, is outside of time, it’s Eternity.
2. In magic—and in life—there is only the present moment, the now. You can’t measure time the way you measure the distance between two points. “Time” doesn’t pass.
3. Life has been very hard on me, but, at the same time, it has taught me a great deal.
4. It isn’t what you did in the past that will affect the present. It’s what you do in the present that will redeem the past and thereby change the future.
5. We are not the person other people wish we were. We are who we decide to be.
6. Only mediocrity is sure of itself, so take risks, and do what you really want to do.
7. What hurts us is what heals us.
8. When I knocked, the door opened. When I looked, I found.
9. To live is to experience things, not sit around pondering the meaning of life.
#10 Dona M. Deane: Honor Your Gifts, 2007, p. 199.
10. There is suffering in life, and there are defeats. No one can avoid them. But it’s better to lose some of the battles in the struggles for your dreams than to be defeated without ever knowing what you’re fighting for.
11. Our dreams give us strength to perform impossible tasks.
12. Don’t place your dreams in the hands of those whom can destroy them.
13. You are your dreams.
14. You can’t avoid pain, but you can chose to overcome it.
15. Every time you wish something, keep your eyes wide open, focus and know exactly what you want. No one hits the target with eyes closed.
16. You are the light of the world. Shine, and darkness will disappear.
17. Joy goes against the foundations of mathematics: it multiplies when we divide.
18. Many people are afraid to hope. They want to be prepared for failure.
19. Before a new chapter is begun, the old one has to be finished: tell yourself that what has passed will never come back. Remember that there was a time when you could live without that thing or that person – nothing is irreplaceable, a habit is not a need.
20. Close some doors today. Not because of pride, incapacity or arrogance, but simply because they lead you nowhere.
21. Life has many ways of testing a person’s will; either by having nothing happen at all or by having everything happen all at once
22. Don’t expect to get anything back, don’t expect recognition for your efforts, don’t expect your genius to be discovered or your love to be understood. Act because you need to act.
23. Telling the truth and making someone cry is better than telling a lie and making someone smile.
24. Don’t explain. Your friends do not need it, and your enemies will not believe you.
25. If you act like a victim, you are likely to be treated as one.
26. One day you will wake up and there won’t be any more time to do the things you’ve always wanted. Do it now.
27 May we understand that we can sell time, but we can’t buy it back.
28. Do something instead of killing time, because time is killing you.
29. Straight roads do not make skillful drivers.
30. I refuse to walk carefully through life only to arrive safely at death.
31. If you’re brave to say “good bye,” life will reward you with a new “hello.”
#32-34 Eleven Minutes, 2003
32. I can choose either to be a victim of the world or an adventurer in search of treasure. It’s all a question of how I view my life.
33. Life always waits for some crisis to occur before revealing itself at its most brilliant.
34. No one loses anyone, because no one owns anyone. That is the true experience of freedom: having the most important thing in the world without owning it.
35. The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.
36. A boat is safe in the harbor but this is not the purpose of a boat.
37. Follow your dreams, transform your life.
38. Don’t allow your wounds to transform you into someone you are not.
39. A life is never useless. Each soul that came down to Earth is here for a reason.
40. When every day seems the same, it is because we have stopped noticing the good things that appear in our lives.
41. Be brave. Take risks. Nothing can substitute experience.
42. When in doubt, just take the next small step.
43. No one can go back, but everyone can go forward. And tomorrow, when the sun rises, all you will have to say to yourself is: I am going to think of this day as the first day of my life.
44. Fight for your dreams, and your dreams will fight for you.
45. Stop thinking about life and choose to live it.
46. Freedom is not the absence of commitments, but the ability to choose – and commit myself to – what is best for me.
47. The secret is here in the present. If you pay attention to the present, you can improve upon it. And, if you improve on the present, what comes later will also be better.
48. To enjoy the rainbow, first enjoy the rain.
49. There are moments when you must be prepared to take a risk to do something crazy.
50. When we’re focused on what we want, things begin to slot perfectly into place.
51. Trust and start walking. We are not alone in the dark, our path will unfold as we move.
52. When our hearts are tired, we can still carry on thanks to the strength of our faith.
53. Success does not come from having one’s work recognised by others. It is the fruit of the seed that you lovingly planted.
54. All life battles teach us something, even those we lose.
#55 The Devil and Miss Prym, 2000
55. When we least expect it, life sets us a challenge to test our courage and willingness to change; at such a moment, there is no point in pretending that nothing has happened or in saying that we are not ready.
56. I don’t regret my painful times, I bare my scars as if they were medals.
57. I learned long ago that in order to heal my wounds, I must have the courage to face up to them.
58. Never try to please everyone; if you do, you will be respected by no one.
59. None of us knows what might happen even in the next minute, and yet still we go forward. Because we trust. Because we have faith.
60. It is useless to suffer for things we can not change, as it is useless to suffer for things we can.
61. No life is complete without a touch of madness.
62. Heaven and hell aren’t places, but states. You don’t need to die to know both.
63. Wasted time is worse than wasted money.
64. We can’t choose our lives, but we can decide what to do with the joys or griefs we’re given.
65. Never ruin a good day by thinking about a bad yesterday.
#66 Brida, 1990
66. When you find your path, you must not be afraid. You need to have sufficient courage to make mistakes. Disappointment, defeat, and despair are the tools God uses to show us the way.
67. They are so anxious about the future, that they neglect the present, and thus live in neither the present nor the future. They live as if they were never going to die, and die as if they had never lived.
#68-74 The Alchemist, 1988
68. We warriors of light must be prepared to have patience in difficult times and to know the Universe is conspiring in our favor, even though we may not understand how.
69. The secret of life, though, is to fall seven times and to get up eight times.
70. It’s the simple things in life that are the most extraordinary; only wise men are able to understand them.
71. When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.
72. Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself. And no heart has ever suffered when it goes in search of its dream.
73. There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.
74. Wherever your heart is, that is where you’ll find your treasure.
#75 Publishing Tips: Weekly Strategies for the Independent Writer, Linda A. Lavid, 2008, p. 57.
75. You drown not by falling into a river, but by staying submerged in it.
#76 By the River Piedra, I Sat Down and Wept, 1994
76. You have to take risks, he said. We will only understand the miracle of life fully when we allow the unexpected to happen.
#77 Facebook, 18 May 2014
77. Life can seem short or life can seem long, depending on how you live it.