Ann Landers Love Quotes and Sayings
1. If you have love in your life, it can make up for a great many things you lack. If you don’t have it, no matter what else there is, it’s not enough.
2. Love is friendship that has caught fire. It is quiet understanding, mutual confidence, sharing and forgiving. It is loyalty through good and bad times. It settles for less than perfection and makes allowances for human weakness.
3. Love is content with the present, it hopes for the future and it doesn’t brood over the past. It’s the day-in and day-out chronicle of irritations, problems, compromises, small disappointments, big victories, and working toward common goals.
Excerpt from Wikipedia: Ann Landers was a pen name created by Chicago Sun-Times advice columnist Ruth Crowley in 1943 and taken over by Eppie Friedman in 1955. For 56 years, the Ask Ann Landers syndicated advice column was a regular feature in many newspapers across North America. Due to this popularity, ‘Ann Landers’, though fictional, became something of a national institution and cultural icon.
Sayings by Ann Landers
#1 International Herald Tribune 19 June 1991
1. At every party there are two kinds of people—those who want to go home and those who don’t. The trouble is, they are usually married to each other.
#2 Since You Ask Me
2. Expect trouble as an inevitable part of life and when it comes, hold your head high, look it squarely in the eye and say “I will be bigger than you. You cannot defeat me.” Then repeat to yourself the most comforting of all words, “this too shall pass.”
#3 The Ann Landers Encyclopedia, A to Z, 1978
3. Keep in mind that the true measure of an individual is how he treats a person who can do him absolutely no good.
#4 Wife May Be Trying To Rekindle Romance, 22 September 1994
4. Know when to tune out. If you listen to too much advice, you may wind up making other people’s mistakes.
#5 Domestic Violence More Than A Misdemeanor, 03 August 1997
5. Some people believe holding on and hanging in there are signs of great strength. However, there are times when it takes much more strength to know when to let go and then do it.
#6 Santa Cruz Sentinel, Volume 134, Number 58, Page 34, 8 March 1990, Gem of the Day
6. Hanging on to resentment is letting someone you despise live rent free in your head.
#7 Ann Landers says: truth is stranger … Page 21, Prentice-Hall, 1982
7. What the vast majority of American children needs is to stop being pampered, stop being indulged, stop being chauffeured, stop being catered to. In the final analysis it is not what you do for your children but what you have taught them to do for themselves that will make them successful human beings.
#8 The High Point Enterprise from High Point, North Carolina, Page 25, 17 March 1974
8. Another thing; people who try to “drown their sorrow” should be told that sorrow knows how to swim.
#9-11 Since You Ask Me
9. Sensual pleasures have the fleeting brilliance of a comet; a happy marriage has the tranquility of a lovely sunset.
10. A good marriage is more than the absence of war. It is a positive, dynamic, growing thing. It is the mature response to obligations. It is the ability to compromise, to give and take, and to share.
11. An encouraging attribute of the human animal is his potential for development. All of us can be better than we are and the first step in self-improvement is to recognize the need for change.
#12 Gem of the Day, 8 December 1994
12. The trouble with talking too fast is that you may say something you haven’t thought of yet.
#13-14 Ann Landers, 27 February 1978
13. Nobody says you must laugh, but a sense of humor can help you overlook the unattractive, tolerate the unpleasant, cope with the unexpected, and smile through the day.
14. Remember, dear. “Everyone is a little queer — but thee and me—”
#15 What If This Adoptee Gets Curious?, 06 November 1991
15. As for what to tell your daughter when she gets old enough to become profoundly inquisitive, the naked truth is always better than the best-dressed lie.
#16 Ann Landers says: truth is stranger …, Prentice-Hall, 1982
16. Women complain about sex more often than men. Their gripes fall into two major categories: (1) Not enough. (2) Too much.
Unsourced Ann Landers Quotes
1. Maturity: Be able to stick with a job until it is finished. Be able to bear an injustice without having to get even. Be able to carry money without spending it. Do your duty without being supervised.
2. Nobody gets to live life backward. Look ahead, that is where your future lies.
3. Opportunities are usually disguised as hard work, so most people don’t recognize them.
4. One out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced. Think of your three closes friends; if they seem OK, then you’re the one.
Quotes misattributed to Ann Landers
1. One of the secrets of a long and fruitful life is to forgive everybody everything before you go to bed. (Quoted in Since you ask me)
– Bernard Baruch