Lao Tzu Love Quotes and Sayings
1. Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.
2. Kindness in words creates confidence. Kindness in thinking creates profoundness. Kindness in giving creates love.
3. Because of a great love, one is courageous.
4. Love is of all passions the strongest, for it attacks simultaneously the head, the heart and the senses.
Excerpt from Wikipedia: Laozi (Chinese: 老子; pinyin: Lǎozǐ; Wade-Giles: Laosi; also Lao Tse, Lao Tu, Lao-Tzu, Lao-Tsu, Laotze, Lao Zi, Laocius, and other variations) was a philosopher of ancient China and is a central figure in Taoism (also spelled “Daoism“). Laozi literally means “Old Master” and is generally considered an honorific. Laozi is revered as a deity in most religious forms of Taoism. Taishang Laojun is a title for Laozi in the Taoist religion, which refers to him as “One of the Three Pure Ones”.
According to Chinese tradition, Laozi lived in the 6th century BC. Historians variously contend that Laozi is a synthesis of multiple historical figures, that he is a mythical figure, or that he actually lived in the 4th century BC, concurrent with the Hundred Schools of Thought and Warring States Period.
A central figure in Chinese culture, both nobility and common people claim Laozi in their lineage. Throughout history, Laozi’s work was embraced by various anti-authoritarian movements.
Sayings by Lao Tzu
1.A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: we did it ourselves.
2. A scholar who cherishes the love of comfort is not fit to be deemed a scholar.
3. All difficult things have their origin in that which is easy, and great things in that which is small.
4. An ant on the move does more than a dozing ox.
5. Anticipate the difficult by managing the easy.
6. At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want.
7. Be Content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you.
8. Do the difficult things while they are easy and do the great things while they are small. A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step.
9. Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt.
10. Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
11. Govern a great nation as you would cook a small fish. Do not overdo it.
12. Great acts are made up of small deeds.
13. He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still.
14. He who does not trust enough, Will not be trusted.
15. He who is contented is rich.
16. He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.
17. He who knows, does not speak. He who speaks, does not know.
18. He who obtains has little. He who scatters has much.
19. Health is the greatest possession. Contentment is the greatest treasure. Confidence is the greatest friend. Non-being is the greatest joy.
20. How could man rejoice in victory and delight in the slaughter of men?
21. I have just three things to teach: Simplicity, patience, compassion. These three are your greatest treasures. Simple in actions and thoughts, you return to the source of being. Patient with both friends and enemies, you accord with the way things are. Compassionate toward yourself, you reconcile all beings in the world.
22. If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading.
23. If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve.
24. If you would take, you must first give, this is the beginning of intelligence.
25. In dwelling, live close to the ground. In thinking, keep to the simple. In conflict, be fair and generous. In governing, don’t try to control. In work, do what you enjoy. In family life, be completely present.
26. One can not reflect in streaming water. Only those who know internal peace can give it to others.
27. One who is too insistent on his own views, finds few to agree with him.
30. People in their handlings of affairs often fail when they are about to succeed. If one remains as careful at the end as he was at the beginning, there will be no failure.
31. The higher the sun ariseth, the less shadow doth he cast; even so the greater is the goodness, the less doth it covet praise; yet cannot avoid its rewards in honours.
32. The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.
33. The wise man does not lay up his own treasures. The more he gives to others, the more he has for his own.
34. To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
35. To see things in the seed, that is genius.
36. Treat those who are good with goodness, and also treat those who are not good with goodness. Thus goodness is attained. Be honest to those who are honest, and be also honest to those who are not honest. Thus honesty is attained.
37. When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.
38. When you are content to be simply yourself and don’t compare or compete, everybody will respect you.
39. Knowing others is intelligence; knowing yourself is true wisdom. Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true power. If you realize that you have enough, you are truly rich.
40. Life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes. Don’t resist them; that only creates sorrow. Let reality be reality. Let things flow naturally forward in whatever way they like.
41. Care about what other people think and you will always be their prisoner.
42. Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success. Always be on the lookout for ways to turn a problem into an opportunity for success. Always be on the lookout for ways to nurture your dream.
43. A man with outward courage dares to die; a man with inner courage dares to live.
44. Because one believes in oneself, one doesn’t try to convince others. Because one is content with oneself, one doesn’t need others’ approval. Because one accepts oneself, the whole world accepts him or her.
45. Watch your thoughts; they become words. Watch your words; they become actions. Watch your actions; they become habit. Watch your habits; they become character. Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
46. I have three precious things which I hold fast and prize. The first is gentleness; the second is frugality; the third is humility, which keeps me from putting myself before others. Be gentle and you can be bold; be frugal and you can be liberal; avoid putting yourself before others and you can become a leader among men.
47. What the caterpillar calls the end, the rest of the world calls a butterfly.
48. Your own positive future begins in this moment. All you have is right now. Every goal is possible from here.
49. To hold, you must first open your hand. Let go.
50. If a person seems wicked, do not cast him away. Awaken him with your words, elevate him with your deeds, repay his injury with your kindness. Do not cast him away; cast away his wickedness.
51. Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished.
52. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.
53. If you correct your mind, the rest of your life will fall into place.
54. True leaders
Are hardly known to their followers.
Next after them are the leaders
The people know and admire;
After them, those they fear;
After them, those they despise.
To give no trust
Is to get no trust.
When work’s done right,
With no fuss or boasting,
Ordinary people say,
“Oh, we did it.”
55. If you want to awaken all of humanity, then awaken all of yourself, if you want to eliminate the suffering in the world, then eliminate all that is negative in yourself. Truly, the greatest gift you have to give is that of your own self-transformation.