Leo Buscaglia Love Quotes and Sayings
#1-2 A Magazine of People and Possibilities interview
1. I have learned that love is the most powerful force available to us. When we have real love we have the strength to perform miracles.
2. The essence of love is getting out of oneself and into others. When we care less about our feelings, our rights, our happiness, our security, etc., and begin to concern ourselves with the feelings, rights, happiness, and security of others, we will have found the true power of love.
#3-4 Living, Loving & Learning, 1985
3. To love is to risk not being loved in return. To hope is to risk pain. To try is to risk failure, but risks must be taken, because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.
4. I will love you no matter what. I will love you if you are stupid, if you slip and fall on your face, if you do the wrong thing, if you make mistakes, if you behave like a human being——I will love you no matter.
#5-7 Speaking Of Love, 1980
5. Don’t miss love. It’s an incredible gift. I love to think that the day you’re born, you’re given the world as your birthday present. It frightens me to think that so few people even bother to open up the ribbon! Rip it open! Tear off the top! It’s just full of love and magic and joy and wonder and pain and tears. All of the things that are your gift for being human.
6. The loving person is the person who loves him or herself. I say this so often, and people say, “Oh yes, you’re so right,” but they don’t do it! You will never be able to love anyone else until you love yourself. Even With your Fat Thighs!
7. Love is life. And if you miss love, you miss life.
#8 Born for Love: Reflections on Loving, 1994
8. It is when we ask for love less and begin giving it more that the basis of human love is revealed to us.
#9-11 Love, 1972
9. We need others. We need others to love and we need to be loved by them. There is no doubt that without it, we too, like the infant left alone, would cease to grow, cease to develop, choose madness and even death.
10. Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lies man’s only promise.
11. Perfect love is rare indeed — for to be a lover will require that you continually have the subtlety of the very wise, the flexibility of the child, the sensitivity of the artist, the understanding of the philosopher, the acceptance of the saint, the tolerance of the scholar and the fortitude of the certain.
#12 Quoted in Leo Buscaglia Foundation
12. Only when we give joyfully, without hesitation or thought of gain, can we truly know what love means.
#13-17 A Magazine of People and Possibilities interview with Veronica Hay, 1998
13. We take love for granted. We assume we are all perfect lovers and all we need do is wait and our love will grow and blossom as readily as a flower in spring. Not so. Love doesn’t grow unless we do. It takes patience, knowledge, experience, determination, and every positive trait we possess.
14. A life of love is one of continual growth, where the doors and windows of experience are always open to the wonder and magic that life offers. To love is to risk living fully.
15. We live in a small world. Not a leaf falls that doesn’t effect a myriad of things. When we reach out to someone in love and the effect is made – everyone, everything which comes in contact with the person we’ve effected is better for it. Of course, the converse is true, too.
16. Yes, we are born for love, but it will die if not nurtured.
17. like to be remembered for being a good, kind, loving, gentle man who attempted to live wisely, and who cared a lot.
#18-21 Love, 1972
18. To love oneself is to struggle to rediscover and maintain your uniqueness. It is understanding and appreciating the idea that you will be the only you to ever live upon this earth, that when you die so will all of your fantastic possibilities. It is the realization that even you are not totally aware of the wonders which lie dormant within yourself.
19. A total immersion in life offers the best classroom for learning to love.
20. One does not fall “in” or “out” of love. One grows in love.
21. Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
Excerpt from Wikipedia: Felice Leonardo “Leo” Buscaglia PhD (March 31, 1924 – June 12, 1998), also known as “Dr. Love,” was an American author and motivational speaker, and a professor in the Department of Special Education at the University of Southern California.
Sayings by Leo Buscaglia
#1 LOVE, 1972
1. We need not be afraid to touch, to feel, to show emotion. The easiest thing in the world is to be what you are, what you feel. The hardest thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don’t let them put you in that position.
#2 Speaking of Love, 1980
2. The hardest battle you’re ever going to fight is the battle to be just you.
#3-4 Love, 1972
3. It’s not enough to have lived. We should be determined to live for something. May I suggest that it be creating joy for others, sharing what we have for the betterment of personkind, bringing hope to the lost and love to the lonely.
4. This loving person is a person who abhors waste — waste of time, waste of human potential. How much time we waste. As if we were going to live forever.
#5-6 Living, Loving & Learning, 1985
5. I exist, I am, I am here, I am becoming, I make my own life and no one else makes it for me. I must face my own shortcomings, mistakes, transgressions. No one can suffer my non-being as I do, but tomorrow is another day, and I must decide to leave my bed and live again. And if I fail, I don’t have the comfort of blaming you or life or God.
6. I believe that you control your destiny, that you can be what you want to be. You can also stop and say, No, I won’t do it, I won’t behave this way anymore. I’m lonely and I need people around me, maybe I have to change my methods of behaving and then you do it.
#7-8 “Dr. Leo Buscaglia Discusses Love.” Jane Pauley, correspondent. NBC Today Show. NBCUniversal Media. 26 Sep. 1980
7. And if I have nothing I can give you nothing, but if I concentrate on becoming all that I am and developing all of my potential, then I can give you all that I am. So that my major concentration is to be the most brilliant, the most sensitive, the most warm, the most loving, the most caring person in the world. Not to keep it for me, you see that’s where it’s stopped in the past generation, but to share it with everyone in my life.
8. We are naive in believing that we live on islands and that we can only love a few people, uh we need to extend it and the more we extend it the more beautiful it becomes, but we have to do it first. We have to broaden ourselves.
9. We will only begin to forgive when we can look upon the wrongdoers as ourselves, neither better nor worse. We need to remember that we coexist as mortals in the world, together, the wronged and the wrongdoer, and that, in our common humanity, the situation could readily be reversed.
10. What we call the secret of happiness is no more a secret than our willingness to choose life.
11. Worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow, it only saps today of its joy.
12. Bearing grudges only hurts you. Forgiveness forgives you, releases you.
13. There are scores of people waiting for someone just like us to come along; people who will appreciate our compassion, our encouragement, who will need our unique talents. Someone who will live a happier life merely because we took the time to share what we had to give.
14. If you don’t like the scene you’re in, if you’re unhappy, if you’re lonely, if you don’t feel that things are happening, change your scene. Paint a new backdrop.
15. Don’t spend your precious time asking “Why isn’t the world a better place?” It will only be time wasted. The question to ask is “How can I make it better?” To that there is an answer.
16. Life is a paradise for those who love many things with a passion.
17. You are the only you … You are the best you. You will always be the second best anyone else.
18. The most unfortunate thing that happens to a person who fears failure is that he limits himself by becoming afraid to try anything new.
19. Live now. When you are eating, eat. When you are loving, love. when you are talking with someone, talk. When you are looking at a flower, look. Catch the beauty of the moment!
20. Don’t walk in my head with your dirty feet.
21. A wonderful realization will be the day you realize that you are unique in all the world. There is nothing that is an accident. You are a special combination for a purpose — and don’t let them tell you otherwise, even if they tell you that purpose is an illusion. (Live an illusion if you have to). You are that combination so that you can do what is essential for you to do. Don’t ever believe that you have nothing to contribute. The world is an incredibly unfulfilled tapestry. And only you can fulfill that tiny space that is yours.
22. Time has no meaning in itself unless we choose to give it significance.
23. Each of our acts makes a statement as to our purpose.
24. Life is uncharted territory. It reveals its story one moment at a time.
25. After all, the wrong is done. It is past and cannot be changed. We have only the present and the future upon which to move forward.
26. We created time, and now we have become the slave of time.
27. Every moment spent in unhappiness is a moment of happiness lost.
28. Man is happiest when he is creating. In fact, the highest state of which man is capable lies in the creative act.
Leo Buscaglia’s Videos
Unsourced Leo Buscaglia Quotes
1. Love is always bestowed as a gift – freely, willingly, and without expectation … We don’t love to be loved; we love to love.
2. Love is always open arms. If you close your arms about love you will find that you are left holding only yourself.
3. Don’t brood. Get on with living and loving. You don’t have forever.
4. Don’t hold to anger, hurt or pain. They steal your energy and keep you from love.
5. The fact that I can plant a seed and it becomes a flower, share a bit of knowledge and it becomes another’s, smile at someone and receive a smile in return, are to me continual spiritual exercises.
84 281 2