Mark Twain Love Quotes and Famous Sayings
2. Love seems the swiftest, but it is the slowest of all growths. No man or woman really knows what perfect love is until they have been married a quarter of a century.
3. To get the full value of joy you must have someone to divide it with.
4. Love is the irresistible desire to be irresistibly desired.
5. When you fish for love, bait with your heart, not your brain.
Excerpt from Wikipedia: Samuel Langhorne Clemens (November 30, 1835 – April 21, 1910), better known by the pen name Mark Twain, was an American author and humorist. Twain is most noted for his novels Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, which has since been called the Great American Novel, and The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. He is extensively quoted. During his lifetime, Twain became a friend to presidents, artists, industrialists, and European royalty.
Twain enjoyed immense public popularity. His keen wit and incisive satire earned him praise from both critics and peers. William Faulkner called Twain “the father of American literature”. (Continue reading at: Wikipedia)
Search for more books by Mark Twain and books related to him.
Famous Sayings by Mark Twain
1. A man is never more truthful than when he acknowledges himself a liar.
2. A man’s character may be learned from the adjectives which he habitually uses in conversation.
3. A person who won’t read has no advantage over one who can’t read.
4. Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don’t mind, it doesn’t matter.
5. Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured.
6. Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.
7. Do the thing you fear most and the death of fear is certain.
8. Don’t go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
9. Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
10. Grief can take care if itself, but to get the full value of a joy you must have somebody to divide it with.
11. I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened.
12. If you tell the truth, you don’t have to remember anything.
13. It is better to deserve honors and not have them than to have them and not deserve them.
14. Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
15. Laws control the lesser man… Right conduct controls the greater one.
16. Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.
17. The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.
18. The most interesting information comes from children, for they tell all they know and then stop.
19. There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded.
20. A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining, but wants it back the minute it begins to rain.
21. If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
22. It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare.
23. The best way to cheer yourself is to try to cheer someone else up.
24. Of all the animals, man is the only one that is cruel. He is the only one that inflicts pain for the pleasure of doing it.
25. When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years.
26. Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.
27. Life is short, break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
28. Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
29. The dog is a gentleman; I hope to go to his heaven not man’s.
30. The secret of getting ahead is getting started. The secret of getting started is breaking your complex overwhelming tasks into small manageable tasks, and starting on the first one.
31. Give every day the chance to become the most beautiful day of your life.