Maya Angelou Love Quotes and Sayings
2. Look, If we lose love and self respect for each other, this is how we finally die.
3. Love recognizes no barriers. It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penetrates walls to arrive at it destination full of hope.
#4 The Distinguished Annie Clark Tanner Lecture, 16th-annual Families Alive Conference, Weber State University, May 8, 1997
4. I do not trust people who don’t love themselves and yet tell me, ‘I love you.’ There is an African saying which is: Be careful when a naked person offers you a shirt.
5. You can only become truly accomplished at something you love. Don’t make money your goal. Instead pursue the things you love doing and then do them so well that people can’t take their eyes off of you.
#6 Twitter, 11 May 2016
6. If I am not good to myself, how can I expect anyone else to be good to me?
7. Have enough courage to trust love one more time and always one more time.
8. Never make someone a priority when all you are to them is an option.
9. If you have only one smile in you give it to the people you love.
10. When we find someone who is brave, fun, intelligent, and loving, we have to thank the universe.
11. I sustain myself with the love of family.
12. To those who have given up on love: I say, “Trust life a little bit.”
13. First best is falling in love. Second best is being in love. Least best is falling out of love. But any of it is better than never having been in love.
14. In all the world, there is no heart for me like yours. In all the world, there is no love for you like mine.
15. Love is like a virus. It can happen to anybody at any time.
16. Love is that condition in the human spirit so profound that it allows me to survive, and better than that, to thrive with passion, compassion, and style.
Excerpt from Wikipedia: Maya Angelou (born Marguerite Ann Johnson; April 4, 1928 – May 28, 2014) is an American author and poet. She has published six autobiographies, five books of essays, several books of poetry, and is credited with a list of plays, movies, and television shows spanning more than fifty years. She has received dozens of awards and over thirty honorary doctoral degrees. Angelou is best known for her series of autobiographies, which focus on her childhood and early adult experiences. The first, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings (1969), tells of her life up to the age of seventeen, and brought her international recognition and acclaim.
Sayings by Maya Angelou
1. I’ve learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow. I’ve learned that you can tell a lot about a person by the way he/she handles these three things: a rainy day, lost luggage, and tangled Christmas tree lights. I’ve learned that regardless of your relationship with your parents, you’ll miss them when they’re gone from your life. I’ve learned that making a “living” is not the same thing as making a “life.” I’ve learned that life sometimes gives you a second chance. I’ve learned that you shouldn’t go through life with a catcher’s mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back. I’ve learned that whenever I decide something with an open heart, I usually make the right decision. I’ve learned that even when I have pains, I don’t have to be one. I’ve learned that every day you should reach out and touch someone. People love a warm hug, or just a friendly pat on the back. I’ve learned that I still have a lot to learn. I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
#2 Facebook, 11 February 2013
2. If you don’t like something, change it. If you can’t change it, change your attitude.
#3 Twitter, 15 Sep 2016
3. Talent is like electricity. We don’t understand electricity. We use it.
#4 Oprah’s Thank You Game
4. When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time.
#5 Conversations with Maya Angelou by Jeffrey M. Elliot, 1989
5. You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have.
6. I can be changed by what happens to me. But I refuse to be reduced by it.
7. You may not control all the events that happen to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them.
8. Be a rainbow in someone else’s cloud.
#9 Facebook, 3 June 2009
9. I love to see a young girl go out and grab the world by the lapels. Life’s a bitch. You’ve got to go out and kick ass.
10. Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it.
#11 Facebook, 5 July 2011
11. My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style.
12. Ask for what you want and be prepared to get it!
#13 Facebook, 16 May 2013
13. We delight in the beauty of the butterfly, but rarely admit the changes it has gone through to achieve that beauty.
14. You alone are enough. You have nothing to prove to anybody.
15. Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
16. There’s a world of difference between truth and facts. Facts can obscure truth.
17. Everything in the universe has a rhythm, everything dances.
18. The ache for home lives in all of us, the safe place where we can go as we are and not be questioned.
19. You may shoot me with your words, you may cut me with your eyes, you may kill me with your hatefulness, but still, like air, I’ll rise!
20. Stepping onto a brand-new path is difficult, but not more difficult than remaining in a situation, which is not nurturing to the whole woman.
#21 Twitter, 28 September 2016
21. The desire to reach for the stars is ambitious. The desire to reach hearts is wise.
22. You may encounter many defeats, but you must not be defeated. In fact, it may be necessary to encounter the defeats, so you can know who you are, what you can rise from, how you can still come out of it.
23. Life is pure adventure, and the sooner we realize that, the quicker we will be able to treat life as art.
#24 Twitter, 11 December 2015
24. When you learn, teach, when you get, give.
25. I don’t know if I continue, even today, always liking myself. But what I learned to do many years ago was to forgive myself. It is very important for every human being to forgive herself or himself because if you live, you will make mistakes – it is inevitable. But once you do and you see the mistake, then you forgive yourself and say, ‘Well, if I’d known better I’d have done better,’ that’s all. So you say to people who you think you may have injured, ‘I’m sorry,’ and then you say to yourself, ‘I’m sorry.’ If we all hold on to the mistake, we can’t see our own glory in the mirror because we have the mistake between our faces and the mirror; we can’t see what we’re capable of being. You can ask forgiveness of others, but in the end the real forgiveness is in one’s own self. I think that young men and women are so caught by the way they see themselves. Now mind you. When a larger society sees them as unattractive, as threats, as too black or too white or too poor or too fat or too thin or too sexual or too asexual, that’s rough. But you can overcome that. The real difficulty is to overcome how you think about yourself. If we don’t have that we never grow, we never learn, and sure as hell we should never teach.
26. Most people don’t grow up. Most people age. They find parking spaces, honor their credit cards, get married, have children, and call that maturity. What that is, is aging.
#27 A Brave And Startling Truth
27. When we come to it
We must confess that we are the possible…
We are the miraculous, the true wonders of this world
Free to choose our ends, and our new beginnings
That is when, and only when…
We come to it
28. We need much less than we think we need.
#29 Twitter, 18 July 2016
29. Hate, it has caused a lot of problems in the world, but has not solved one yet.
#30 Twitter, 06 Nov 2016
30. Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.
31. Be present in all things and thankful for all things.
32. A friend may be waiting behind a stranger’s face.
33. Let gratitude be the pillow upon which you kneel to say your nightly prayer. And let faith be the bridge you build to overcome evil and welcome good.
34. No matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow.
35. A Woman in harmony with her spirit is like a river flowing. She goes where she will without pretense and arrives at her destination prepared to be herself and only herself.
#36 Twitter, 20 Nov 2016
36. Nothing will work unless you do.
37. If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded.
#38 Facebook, 17 November 2015
38. Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.
39. Success is loving life and daring to live it.
40. Living well is an art that can be developed: a love of life and ability to take great pleasure from small offerings and assurance that the world owes you nothing and that every gift is exactly that, a gift.
41. We spend precious hours fearing the inevitable. It would be wise to use that time adoring our families, cherishing our friends and living our lives.
42. When we give cheerfully and accept gratefully, everyone is blessed.
43. Love life. Engage in it. Give it all you’ve got. Love it with a passion because life truly does give back, many times over, what you put into it.
#44 USA Today, 5 March 1988
44. Without courage we cannot practice any other virtue with consistency. We can’t be kind, true, merciful, generous, or honest.
#45 Twitter, 22 Nov 2016
45. We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.
46. When you wish someone joy, you wish them peace, love, prosperity, happiness … all the good things.
47. Each of us, famous or infamous, is a role model for somebody, and if we aren’t, we should behave as though we are – cheerful, kind, loving, courteous. Because you can be sure someone is watching and taking deliberate and diligent notes.
48. If I could give you one thought, it would be to lift someone up. Lift a stranger up – lift her up. I would ask you, mother and father, brother and sister, lovers, mother and daughter, father and son, lift someone. The very idea of lifting someone up will lift you, as well.
49. A person is the product of their dreams. So make sure to dream great dreams. And then try to live your dream.
50. You can only become great at something you are willing to sacrifice for.
51. Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take but by the moments that take your breath away.
52. Hope for the best, be prepared for the worse. Life is shocking, but you must never appear to be shocked. For no matter how bad it is it could be worse and no matter how good it is it could be better.
53. History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again.
Twitter, 20 March 2016
54. I have found that among its other benefits, giving liberates the soul of the giver.
55. You will face many defeats in your life, but never let yourself be defeated.
56. My wish for you is that you continue. Continue to be who and how you are, to astonish a mean world with your acts of kindness. Continue to allow humor to lighten the burden of your tender heart.
#57 Twitter, 24 July 2016
57. If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know how amazing you can be.
#58 An Interview with Maya Angelou by Alison Beard
58. I understood early that not everything I did was going to be a masterpiece, but I would try to do it the best I knew how. I’ve listened to an inner voice and had enough courage to try unknown things. And I think everything in its time.
#59 Wouldn’t Take Nothing for My Journey Now (1993) p. 12.
59. Perhaps travel cannot prevent bigotry, but by demonstrating that all peoples cry, laugh, eat, worry, and die, it can introduce the idea that if we try and understand each other, we may even become friends.
#60 Twitter, 21 July 2016
60. It’s one of the greatest gifts you can give yourself, to forgive. Forgive everybody.
61. How important it is for us to recognize and celebrate our heroes and she-roes!
62. You don’t have to think about doing the right thing. If you’re for the right thing, then you do it without thinking.
63. Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with the shades of deeper meaning.
64. Hoping for the best, prepared for the worst, and unsurprised by anything in between.
#65 Twitter, 03 February 2016
65. Develop enough courage so that you can stand up for yourself and then stand up for somebody else.
#66 Twitter, 04 November 2015
66. No sun outlasts its sunset but will rise again and bring the dawn.
#67 Twitter, 08 July 2015
67. We may encounter many defeats but we must not be defeated.