Oscar Wilde Love Quotes and Sayings
2. Where there is no exaggeration there is no love, and where there is no love there is no understanding.
3. Music makes one feel so romantic – at least it always gets on one’s nerves – which is the same thing nowadays.
4. Life is one fool thing after another where as love are two fool things after each other.
5. To give and not expect return, that is what lies at the heart of love.
6. Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead.
7. Men always want to be a woman’s first love – women like to be a man’s last romance.
8. Surely Love is a wonderful thing. It is more precious than emeralds, and dearer than fine opals. Pearls and pomegranates cannot buy it, nor is it set forth in the marketplace. It may not be purchased of the merchants, for can it be weighed out in the balance for gold.
9. Women are meant to be loved, not to be understood.
10. Never love anyone who treats you like you’re ordinary.
11. Who, being loved, is poor?
12. My life-my whole life-take it, and do with it what you will. I love you-love you as I have never loved any living thing. From the moment I met you I loved you, loved you blindly, adoringly, madly! You didn’t know it then-you know it now.
13. I see when men love women. They give them but a little of their lives. But women when they love give everything.
14. For one moment our lives met, our souls touched.
15. There is nothing in the world like the devotion of a married woman. It is a thing no married man knows anything about.
Oscar Fingal O’Flahertie Wills Wilde (16 October 1854 – 30 November 1900) was an Irish playwright, poet and author of numerous short stories and one novel. Known for his biting wit, he became one of the most successful playwrights of the late Victorian era in London, and one of the greatest celebrities of his day. Several of his plays continue to be widely performed, especially The Importance of Being Earnest. (read more in Wikipedia)
More readings on Oscar Wilde’s works at The Literature Network.
Search for Books on Oscar Wilde? Free Shipping in US and from $3.97 Worldwide.
Sayings by Oscar Wilde
1. Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.
2. If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they’ll kill you.
3. Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.
4. A cynic is a man who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing.
5. Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go.
6. All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That’s his.
7. Be yourself, everyone else is already taken up.
8. To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.
9. If one cannot enjoy reading a book over and over again, there is no use in reading it at all.
10. The nicest feeling in the world is to do a good deed anonymously-and have somebody find out.
11. Live! Live the wonderful life that is in you! Let nothing be lost upon you. Be always searching for new sensations. Be afraid of nothing.
12. I have learned this: it is not what one does that is wrong, but what one becomes as a consequence of it.
13. If you don’t get everything you want, think of the things you don’t get that you don’t want.
14. The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the grandest intention.
15. Pleasure is the only thing one should live for, nothing ages like happiness.
16. If we’re always guided by other people’s thoughts, what’s the point in having our own?
17. There is a luxury in self-reproach. When we blame ourselves we feel that no one else has a right to blame us.
18. It is a great mistake for men to give up paying compliments, for when they give up saying what is charming, they give up thinking what is charming.
19. Yes: I am a dreamer. For a dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.
20. We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.