Byron Katie Love Quotes and Sayings
#1 Question Your Thinking, Change the World
1. How do you react when you think you need people’s love? Do you become a slave for their approval? Do you live an inauthentic life because you can’t bear the thought that they might disapprove of you? Do you try to figure out how they would like you to be, and then try to become that, like a chameleon? In fact, you never really get their love. You turn into someone you aren’t, and then when they say “I love you,” you can’t believe it, because they’re loving a facade. They’re loving someone who doesn’t even exist, the person you’re pretending to be. It’s difficult to seek other people’s love. It’s deadly. In seeking it, you lose what is genuine. This is the prison we create for ourselves as we seek what we already have.
2. The miracle of love comes to you in the presence of the uninterpreted moment. If you are mentally somewhere else, you miss real life.
3. If you want to see the love of your life, look in the mirror.
4. When they attack you and you notice that you love them with all your heart, your Work is done.
5. Seeking love keeps you from the awareness that you already have it—that you are it.
#6 A Thousand Names for Joy: Living in Harmony with the Way Things Are
6. “Love thy neighbor as thyself.” I always have: I hated me, I hated you.
#7 Twitter, 13 January 2012
7. Our job is unconditional love. The job of everyone else in our life is to push our buttons.
#8 Facebook, 01 February 2014
8. Everyone loves me; I just don’t expect them to realize it yet.
#9 Twitter, 12 March
9. If you realized how beautiful you are, you would fall at your own feet.
Excerpt from Wikipedia: Byron Kathleen Mitchell (born Reid), better known as Byron Katie (born December 6, 1942), is an American speaker and author who teaches a method of self-inquiry known as “The Work of Byron Katie” or simply as “The Work”.
Sayings by Byron Katie
#1-2 A Thousand Names for Joy: Living in Harmony with the Way Things Are
1. Life is simple. Everything happens for you, not to you. Everything happens at exactly the right moment, neither too soon nor too late. You don’t have to like it—it’s just easier if you do.
2. When another person suffers, there’s nothing I can do about that, except maybe to put my arms around them or bring them a cup of tea and let them know that I’m totally available. But that’s where it must end. The rest is up to them. And because I made it through, I know that they can do it. I am not special.
3. As long as you think that the cause of your problem is “out there”—as long as you think that anyone or anything else is responsible for your suffering—the situation is hopeless. It means that you are forever in the role of victim, that you’re suffering in paradise.
4. Everything happens for me, not to me.
5. A thought is harmless unless we believe it. It’s not our thoughts, but the attachment to our thoughts, that causes suffering. Attaching to a thought means believing that it’s true, without inquiring. A belief is a thought that we’ve been attaching to, often for years.
6. If you put your hand into a fire, does anyone have to tell you to move it? Do you have to decide? No: When your hand starts to burn, it moves. You don’t have to direct it; the hand moves itself. In the same way, once you understand, through inquiry, that an untrue thought causes suffering, you move away from it.
7. Peace doesn’t require two people; it requires only one. It has to be you. The problem begins and ends there.
#8 Nothing Happens Ahead, 01 August 2014
8. Nothing happens ahead of its time, and what needs to happen always happens.
#9 Twitter, 14 February 2018
9. Become aware of what self you are imagining you to be.
#10 Twitter, 24 August 2017
10. True generosity happens without any awareness of being generous.
#11 Instagram, 6 June 2017
11. Any kindness in your heart becomes kindness in the world.
#12 KATIEISM: AN UNCOMFORTABLE FEELING IS NOT AN ENEMY…
12. An uncomfortable feeling is not an enemy. It’s a gift that says, “Get honest; inquire.” We reach out for alcohol, or television, or credit cards, so we can focus out there and not have to look at the feeling. And that’s as it should be, because in our innocence we haven’t known how. So now what we can do is reach out for a paper and a pencil, write thought down, and investigate.
#13 Facebook, 02 April 2013
13. All the advice you ever gave your partner is for you to hear.
#14 Facebook, 12 March 2014
14. Peace is found on the inside. Where have you been looking?
#15 Facebook, 30 April 2012
15. If you are mentally somewhere else. You miss real life.
#16 Facebook, 16 March 2014
16. Forgiveness is just another name for freedom.
#17 Twitter, 26 August 2009
17. Forgiveness is discovering that what you thought happened, didn’t. You realize that there was never anything to forgive.
#18 Twitter, 23 May 2016
18. I don’t need other people to have an open mind. The question is “Is my mind open?”
#19 Twitter, 01 Oct 2016
19. When you believe that your problem is caused by someone else, you are your own victim, and the situation appears to be hopeless.
#20 Twitter, 27 Sep 2016
20. If I take care of my mind I have taken care of yours.
21. Everyone is a mirror image of yourself — your own thinking coming back at you.
#22 Twitter, 23 November 2016
22. Stop using others for your happiness; be your own happiness.
#23 Twitter, 16 November 2016
23. What you’re believing in the moment creates your suffering or your happiness.
#24 Twitter, 11 November 2016
24. Your suffering is never caused by the person you’re blaming.
#25 Twitter, 08 December 2016
25. World peace can only be found within you.
#26 Twitter, 07 February 2017
26. Love your internal world, and the world will be different.
#27 Twitter, 20 March 2017
27. You are your only hope, because we’re not changing until you do.
#28 Twitter, 14 March 2017
28. The world is what you believe it to be, and it changes as you change.
#29 Twitter, 24 March 2017
29. The sky isn’t the limit: the mind that sees the sky is the limit.
#30 Twitter, 09 April 2017
30. I’m not grateful for this or that, I’m grateful.
#31 Twitter, 26 June 2017
31. Looking within can change the world around you.
#32 Twitter, 26 April 2017
32. The work is mental yoga. Work your mind, and the body will follow; it doesn’t have a choice. Test this.
#33 Twitter, 23 May 2017
33. Freedom isn’t a destination; it’s a state of mind.
#34 Twitter, 18 June 2017
34. Life is simple. It’s what we believe about life that complicates it.
#35 Twitter, 3 May 2018
35. Every time your mind shifts, your world shifts.
#36 Question Your Thinking, Change the World
36. It’s not your job to like me — it’s mine.
#37 A Mind at Home with Itself: Finding Freedom in a World of Suffering
37. When people question the apparent past, they lose their future. The present moment—that’s when we’re born.
#38 Instagram, 9 October 2020 [S]
38. If you want to change your world, change direction. Go inward, not out.
#39 Instagram [S]
39. Life is not outside us, life is in us.
#40 Instagram [S]
40. Thoughts, like waves of an ocean, come to pass, not to stay.
Unsourced Byron Katie Quotes
1. Placing the blame or judgment on someone else leaves you powerless to change your experience; taking responsibility for your beliefs and judgments gives you the power to change them.
2. The world is nothing but my perception of it. I see only through myself. I hear only through the filter of my story.
Connect with Byron Katie @ Twitter