#1 One Love (cowritten with Curtis Mayfield), from the album Exodus, originally recorded on The Wailing Wailers., 1965
1. One love, one heart,
Let’s get together and feel alright.
2. Love the life you live. Live the life you love.
3. Love would never leave us alone.
4. The winds that sometimes take something we love, are the same that bring us something we learn to love. Therefore we should not cry about something that was taken from us, but, yes, love what we have been given. Because what is really ours is never gone forever.
5. The biggest coward of a man is to awaken the love of a woman without the intention of loving her.
6. To love is to risk, not being loved in return. to hope is to risk pain. to try is to risk failure. but risk must be taken because the greatest hazard in my life is to risk nothing.
7. You say you love rain, but you use an umbrella to walk under it. You say you love sun, but you seek shelter when it is shining. You say you love wind, but when it comes you close your windows. So that’s why I’m scared when you say you love me.
8. She may not be the most popular or prettiest but if you love her and she makes you smile … what else matters?
Excerpt from Wikipedia: Robert Nesta “Bob” Marley, Jamaican Order of Merit (6 February 1945 – 11 May 1981) was a singer-songwriter and musician. He was the rhythm guitarist and lead singer for the ska, rocksteady and reggae band Bob Marley & The Wailers (1963–1981). Marley remains the most widely known and revered performer of reggae music, and is credited with helping spread both Jamaican music and the Rastafari movement to a worldwide audience.
Sayings by Bob Marley
#1 Trenchtown Rock
1. One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain
#2 Could you be loved
2. Who are you to judge the life I live?
I know that I’m not perfect and that I don’t claim to be,
so before you point your fingers make sure your hands are clean.
#3 Redemption Song
3. Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.
#4 Zion Train
4. Don’t gain the world and lose your soul
Wisdom is better than silver and gold.
#5-6 Forever Loving Jah
5. And then what has been hidden
From the wise and the prudent
Been revealed to the babe and the suckling
6. Everything in life got its purpose, find its reason
In every season
#7 Coming in from the Cold, Confrontation
7. When one door is closed, many more is open.
#8 Judge Not (single), 1961
8. Judge not, before you judge yourself.
Judge not, if you’re not ready for judgment.
#9-10 Pass It On
9. It’s your own conscience
That is gonna remind you
That it’s your heart and nobody else’s
That is gonna judge.
10. Live for yourself and you will live in vain;
Live for others, you will live again.
11. Open your eyes and look within:
Are you satisfied with the life you’re living?
#12-14 Get Up, Stand Up, Burnin’, 1973 , cowritten with Peter Tosh
12. Most people think,
Great God will come from the skies,
Take away everything
And make everybody feel high.
But if you know what life is worth,
You will look for yours on earth:
And now you see the light,
You stand up for your rights.
13. Get up, stand up: stand up for your rights!
Get up, stand up: don’t give up the fight!
14. You can fool some people sometimes,
But you can’t fool all the people all the time.
#15 Positive Vibration
15. Say you just can’t live that negative way,
If you know what I mean
Make way for the positive day,
‘Cause it’s news (new day)
#16 Jamming, from the album Exodus, 1977
16. Your life is worth much more than gold.
#17 Wake Up and Live! on Survival, 1979
17. Life is one big road with lots of signs,
So when you riding through the ruts,
Don’t you complicate your mind
Flee from hate, mischief and jealousy
Don’t bury your thoughts; put your vision to reality
#18 Three Little Birds, from the album Exodus, 1977
18. Don’t worry about a thing,
‘Cos every little thing is gonna be alright.
#19 War, near-exact repetition of a 1963 speech in the UN by the Ethiopian emperor Haile Selassie
19. Until the philosophy which hold one race superior
And another inferior
Is finally and permanently
Discredited and abandoned
Everywhere is war
Me say war
#20 Interview for the Australian TV show 60 Minutes
20. Possession make you rich? I don’t have that type of richness. My richness is life, forever.
#21 Who The Cap Fit
21. Man to man is so unjust, children:
Ya don’t know who to trust.
Your worst enemy could be your best friend,
And your best friend your worse enemy.
22. Me only have one ambition, y’know. I only have one thing I really like to see happen. I like to see mankind live together – black, white, Chinese, everyone – that’s all.
23. Man is a universe within himself.
Songs by Bob Marley
Unsourced Quotes Attributed to Bob Marley
1. If she’s amazing, she won’t be easy. If she’s easy, she won’t be amazing. If she’s worth it, you won’t give up. If you give up, you’re not worthy. Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for.
2. The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
3. I don’t stand for black man’s side, I don’t stand for white man’s side, I stand for God’s side.
4. Better to die fighting for freedom then be a prisoner all the days of your life.
5. Beginnings are usually scary, and endings are usually sad, but its everything in between that makes it all worth living.
6. Just because you are happy it does not mean that the day is perfect but that you have looked beyond its imperfections.
Quotes Misattributed to Bob Marley
1. Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet. [S]
– Roger Miller