Martha Graham Love Quotes and Sayings
2. I have heard stories that it was love at first sight for both of us, that we disappeared to a guest room at Merle’s house, had our meals sent up, and didn’t emerge for several days. This is absolutely untrue. I would never behave like that as a guest in someone’s home. Carlos and I went to my beach house.
Excerpt from Wikipedia: Martha Graham (May 11, 1894 – April 1, 1991) was an American modern dancer and choreographer whose influence on dance has been compared with the influence Picasso had on modern visual arts, Stravinsky had on music, or Frank Lloyd Wright had on architecture.
Sayings by Martha Graham
1. You are unique, and if that is not fulfilled, then something has been lost.
2. Dance is the hidden language of the soul.
3. There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and will be lost.
4. Nobody cares if you can’t dance well. Just get up and dance. Great dancers are great because of their passion.
5. Some men have thousands of reasons why they cannot do what they want to, when all they need is one reason why they can.
6. What people in the world think of you is really none of your business.
7. All that is important is this one moment in movement. Make the moment important, vital, and worth living. Do not let it slip away unnoticed and unused.
8. Great dancers are not great because of their technique, they are great because of their passion.
9. Fire is the test of gold; adversity, of strong men.
10. People have asked me why I chose to be a dancer. I did not choose. I was chosen to be a dancer, and with that, you live all your life.
11. No artist is ahead of his time. He is his time; it is just that others are behind the times.
12. The only sin is mediocrity.
13. ‘Age’ is the acceptance of a term of years. But maturity is the glory of years.
14. The next time you look into the mirror, just look at the way the ears rest next to the head; look at the way the hairline grows; think of all the little bones in your wrist. It is a miracle.