Sri Chinmoy Love Quotes and Sayings
#1 Seventy Seven Thousand Service-Trees series Part 15, 1998
1. Instead of creating a reason why you cannot love the world, try to create a reason why you should and must love the world.
#2 The Wings of Joy: Finding Your Path to Inner Peace
2. A child feels his mother has all the power in the world. When he is afraid of anything, he runs to his mother because he knows that his mother has utmost affection for him.
#3 Earth’s cry meets Heaven’s smile, part 3, Agni Press, 1978
3. Hate is often an obverse form of love. You hate someone whom you really wish to love but whom you cannot love. Perhaps he himself prevents you. Hate is a disguised form of love. You can only hate someone that you have the capacity to love because if you are really indifferent, you cannot even get up enough energy to hate him.
#4 Seventy-Seven Thousand Service-Trees, part 31, Agni Press, 2003
4. Love your enemy. It will not only puzzle him, but finally illumine him.
#5 Meditations: Food For The Soul, August 31, 1970
5. Try not to change the world. You will fail. Try to love the world. Lo, the world is changed. Changed forever.
#6 My Heart Shall Give A Oneness-Feast (Agni Press, Jamaica, NY 1993)
6. World peace can be achieved when the power of love replaces the love of power.
#7 Every day my gratitude-heart, 1995
7. Truth is in all, but love is all.
#8 Seventy-Seven Thousand Service-Trees, part 42, Agni Press, 2005
8. Not by blaming the world, not by shunning the world, but only by loving the world can I have peace of mind.
#9 Arise! Awake! Thoughts of a yogi, First published by Frederick Fell, Inc., 1972
9. Wherever you go, go with inspiration and aspiration. Whatever you do, do with love and concern. Whomever you see, see with purity’s beauty and responsibility’s glory.
#10 Perfection and transcendence, Agni Press, 1977 (Question: What is the relationship between love and gratitude?)
10. If it is true love, the love that expands, then its source is gratitude. Gratitude is the creative force, the mother and father of love. It is in gratitude that real love exists. This love is not the human love, it is divine love. Love expands only when gratitude is there. Limited love does not offer gratitude. Limited love is immediately bound by something-by constant desires or constant demands. But when it is unlimited love, constant love, then gratitude comes to the fore. This love becomes all gratitude.
#11 AUM — Vol. 8, No. 8, March 1973, AUM Centre Press, 1973
11. Be universal in your love. You will see the universe to be the picture of your own being.
#12 Seventy-Seven Thousand Service-Trees, part 22, Agni Press, 2001
12. Tell others when you love them. This will really make their lives worth living.
#13 AUM — Vol. 5, No. 1, Aug. 27, 1969, AUM Centre Press, 1969 (Question: How can we tell if our love is vital or pure?)
13. When your love is pure or spiritual, there is no demand, no expectation. There is only the sweetest feeling of spontaneous oneness with the human being or beings concerned.
#14 When God-Love descends, Agni Press, 1975
14. Love is not a thing to understand. Love is not a thing to feel. Love is not a thing to give and receive. Love is a thing only to become and eternally be.
#15 Seventy-Seven Thousand Service-Trees, part 6, Agni Press, 1998
15. One word that wakes all humanity: Love, love, love!
#17 The Wings of Joy, 1997
17. If you really want to love humanity, then you have to love humanity as it is now.
#18 Seventy Seven Thousand Service-Trees series Part 8, 1998
18. Love is something that never cared to learn how to judge anybody.
#19 AUM — Vol. 4, No.10, May 27, 1969, AUM Centre Press, 1969
19. First of all, let us try to know what love is. If love means to possess someone or something, then that is not real love, not pure love. If love means to give oneself, to become one with everything and with humanity, then that is real love. Real love is total oneness with the object loved and with the Possessor of love.
#20 Meditations: food for the soul, Agni Press, 1970
20. I love my enemies for two reasons: they inspire me to recognise my weakness. They also inspire me to perfect my imperfect nature.
Excerpt from Wikipedia: Sri Chinmoy (August 27, 1931 – October 11, 2007), born Chinmoy Kumar Ghose, was an Indian spiritual Master who began teaching meditation in the West when he moved to New York City in 1964. A prolific author, artist, poet, athlete and musician, he is perhaps best known for holding public events on the theme of inner peace (such as concerts, meditations, and races). He taught meditation on the spiritual heart as a core spiritual practice, as well as encouraging prayer and performing dedicated selfless-service as a way to personal enlightenment, or God-realisation as described by Eastern religions.
Sayings by Sri Chinmoy
#1 Silence calls me, 1993
1. Peace begins when expectation ends.
#2 Seventy-Seven Thousand Service-Trees, part 15, Agni Press, 1999
2. If we feel inwardly strong, we will have no need or desire to speak ill of others.
#3 Don’t act like a fool, Ten Thousand Flower-Flames, part 11, Agni Press, 1981 [S]
3. Don’t act like a fool.
Be sincere in your thoughts,
Be pure in your feelings.
You will not have to run after happiness.
Happiness will run after you.
#4 God the Supreme Musician, Agni Press, 1976
4. If we can feel that it is not our voice, not our fingers, but some reality deep inside our heart which is expressing itself, then we will know that it is the soul’s music.
#5 AUM — Vol. 4, No. 1, August 27, 1968, AUM Centre Press, 1968
5. If failure has the strength to turn your life into bitterness itself, then patience has the strength to turn your life into the sweetest joy. Do not surrender to fate after a single failure. Failure, at most, precedes success.
#6 Twenty-Seven Thousand Aspiration-Plants, part 112, Agni Press, 1987
6. Hope is sweet. Hope is illumining. Hope is fulfilling. Hope can be everlasting. Therefore, do not give up hope Even in the sunset of your life.
#7 A God-devotion-teardrop, 2006
7. Just one smile immensely increases the beauty of the universe.
#8 I play tennis every day, Agni Press, 1994
8. Not to give up under any circumstances should be the motto of our life: “I shall try again and again, and I am bound to succeed. There will be obstacles, but I have to defy the obstacles.”…So do not give up, do not give up! Continue, continue! The Goal is ahead of you. If you do not give up, you are bound to reach your destined Goal.
#9 Twenty-Seven Thousand Aspiration-Plants, part 133, Agni Press, 1990
9. You must never forget that greatness does not guarantee happiness, but goodness always does.
#10 The God of the mind [songbook], 1991
10. Do not blame the world. Find a solution.
#11 Your happiness will be multiplied, Ten Thousand Flower-Flames, part 39, Agni Press, 1982 [S]
11. Instead of telling the world
What it is supposed to do,
Why don’t you immediately do it yourself?
In this way, I assure you,
Your happiness will be
#12 Twenty-Seven Thousand Aspiration-Plants, part 164, Agni Press, 1991
12. Never worry about things that you are unable to change. Change your own way of looking at truth.
#13 To make progress, Ten Thousand Flower-Flames, part 30, Agni Press, 1982 [S]
13. Do you want to make progress?
If so, then take each problem
Not as a challenging
But as an encouraging friend of yours
Who is helping you to arrive
At your ultimate Destination.
#14 Aspiration-body, illumination-soul, part 2, Agni Press, 1993
14. People want something that can be achieved in the twinkling of an eye. They do not believe in discipline or patience. If we lead a disciplined life and have patience, then we are bound to get all good things from our life.
#15-16 Transformation-night, Immortality-Dawn, Agni Press, 1975
15. Peace is something that we have to spread. But unless and until we have peace deep within us, we can never hope to have peace in the outer world. There are two wars: the inner and the outer. The inner war is the war that our inner being or our soul fights against limitations, ignorance, doubt and death. The outer war is the war that man fights against man, that nation fights against nation. These outer wars will come to an end only if the inner war stops first; that is to say, when in the inner world the inner being or soul conquers ignorance, fear, doubt and death. Then in the outer world there will be no necessity to wage war.
16. We fight because deep inside us there is disharmony, there is fear, there is anxiety and worry. When deep inside us there is peace, joy, plenitude and fulfillment, we shall not wage war. Both the inner war and the outer war are bound to end in the process of human evolution.
#17 Twenty-Seven Thousand Aspiration-Plants, part 105, Agni Press, 1986
17. Every second a seeker can start over, for his life’s mistakes are initial drafts and not the final version.
#18 One Thing To Learn, Ten Thousand Flower-Flames, part 70, Agni Press, 1983 [S]
18. Every day there is only
One thing to learn:
How to be honestly happy.
#19 Seventy-Seven Thousand Service-Trees, part 23, Agni Press, 2001
19. To follow the crowd is to miss the destination.
#20 Twenty Seven Thousand Aspiration Plants Part 13, 1983
20. Be kind, be all sympathy, for each and every human being is forced to fight against himself.
#21 Sri Chinmoy answers, part 5, Agni Press, 1995 (Question: How can one adequately express gratitude?)
21. Gratitude is the sweetest thing in a seeker’s life — in all human life. If there is gratitude in your heart, then there will be tremendous sweetness in your eyes.
#22 Your patience-tree, Ten Thousand Flower-Flames, part 40, Agni Press, 1982 [S]
22. In between your failure-tree
And your triumph-tree,
The tree that is growing
Is known as your patience-tree.
#23 Good thoughts, Ten Thousand Flower-Flames, part 6, Agni Press, 1979 [S]
23. When I think good thoughts,
I feel that man is not,
After all, so bad.
#24 Seventy-Seven Thousand Service-Trees, part 24, Agni Press, 2002
24. Patience, increasing patience, is all we need to be victorious in the battlefield of life.
#25 Somebody has to listen, Agni Press, 1992
25. My heart’s gratitude is my life’s plenitude.
#26 Now is the time, Ten Thousand Flower-Flames, part 21, Agni Press, 1981 [S]
26. Now is the time
To make good use of time.
Today is the day
To begin a perfect day.
#27 A God-lover’s earth-Heaven-life, part 1, Agni Press, 1974
27. True humility is something totally different; it is the feeling of oneness. Humility means giving joy to others.
#28 The wall of cheerfulness, Ten Thousand Flower-Flames, part 39, Agni Press, 1982 [S]
28. Remain cheerful,
For nothing destructive can pierce through
The adamantine wall of cheerfulness.
#29 Daring Enthusiasm, Ten Thousand Flower-Flames, part 96, Agni Press, 1983 [S]
29. Daring enthusiasm and abiding cheerfulness
Can accomplish everything on earth
#30 Seventy-Seven Thousand Service-Trees, part 21, Agni Press, 2001
30. Not what happens to you but how you accept it is of paramount importance.
#31 My Lord Supreme, do You have a moment?, Agni Press, 1990
31. I began my life By sincerely believing the impossible. I shall end my life By unmistakably doing the impossible.
#32 Flame-Goal. Daily meditations, Agni Press, 1973
32. Wait for tomorrow to think tomorrow’s thoughts.
#33 My heart shall give a oneness-feast, Agni Press, 1993 (Question: Will you speak about gratitude?)
33. The things that most deserve our gratitude we just take for granted. Without air we cannot live for more than a minute or two. Every day we are breathing in and breathing out, but do we ever feel grateful to the air? If we do not drink water, we cannot survive. Even our body is composed to a large extent of water. But do we give any value to water? Every morning when we open our eyes, we see the sun blessingfully offering us light and life-energy, which we badly need. But are we grateful to the sun?
#34 Seventy-Seven Thousand Service-Trees, part 47, Agni Press, 2007
34. Nothing is more important than peace, and only meditation can give this peace.
#35 Twenty-Seven Thousand Aspiration-Plants, part 99, Agni Press, 1984
35. What you powerfully hold in your thought-world will make you either a street beggar or a great king.
#36 Seventy-Seven Thousand Service-Trees, part 23, Agni Press, 2001
36. The language of the heart is the only language that everybody can understand.
#37 Gratitude Flows From The Heart, Ten Thousand Flower-Flames, part 91, Agni Press, 1983 [S]
37. True gratitude can never come
From the mind.
It has to flow from the heart
To the mind, vital and body
Until everything that we have and are
Is a sea of gratitude.
#38 The Ultimate Power, Ten Thousand Flower-Flames, part 88, Agni Press, 1983 [S]
38. Not the power to conquer others
But the power to become one with others
Is the ultimate power.
#39 Aspiration-body, illumination-soul, part 2, Agni Press, 1993
39. I do not compete with the rest of the world. I compete only with myself, and I try to become a better human being. This is my ultimate goal. Every day I pray to become a better human being so that I can be of better service to mankind.
#40 Twenty-Seven Thousand Aspiration-Plants, part 227, Agni Press, 1996
40. Life is given to each human being for a very special purpose. This secret each human being must discover for himself.
#41 My Christmas-New Year-Vacation Aspiration-Prayers, part 33, Agni Press, 2005
41. I did not come into the world to prove anything. I came into the world to love everyone and everything.
#42 World-destruction: never, impossible! part 1, Agni Press, 1994
42. If we live in our oneness-heart, we will feel the essence of all religions which is the love of God. Forgiveness, compassion, tolerance, brotherhood and the feeling of oneness are the signs of a true religion.
#43 The Very Nature Of Kindness, Ten Thousand Flower-Flames, part 93, Agni Press, 1983 [S]
43. The very nature of kindness
Is to spread.
If you are kind to others,
Today they will be kind to you,
And tomorrow to somebody else.
#44 Twenty-Seven Thousand Aspiration-Plants, part 194, Agni Press, 1993
44. I do not compete with the rest of the world. I compete only with myself, for my progress is my true victory.
#45 Twenty-Seven Thousand Aspiration-Plants, part 199, Agni Press, 1994
45. If you do not find peace inside your own heart, then you will not find it anywhere else on earth.
#46 Opportunity and Self-Transcendence, 1977
46. If you do the right thing, eventually you will inspire others to do the right thing.
#47 AUM — Vol.II-1, No. 6, June 27, 1974, Vishma Press, 1974
47. Anger has an enemy: Peace. Peace has no enemy. Peace has a special friend: Joy. Anger has only one friend: Destruction.
#48 World-destruction: never, impossible! part 1, Agni Press, 1994
48. What we need is a life of balance — neither to wallow in the pleasures of wealth nor to lead a life of asceticism, but to embrace a life of simplicity and a heart of purity.
#49 Seventy Seven Thousand Service-Trees series Part 41, 1998
49. Those who run after happiness will never be happy. Happiness is something that has to come to the fore from within.
#50 Seventy Seven Thousand Service-Trees series Part 27, 1998
50. To be rich is to give a smile with no expectation of return.
#51 Meditations: Food For The Soul (1970), February 27
51. I take the greatest lesson from compassion — it takes away all the conceit out of my life.
#52 I am very happy, Ten Thousand Flower-Flames, part 35, Agni Press, 1982 [S]
52. I am very happy
Because I have conquered myself
And not the world.
I am very happy
Because I have loved the world
And not myself.
I am very happy
Because I have not surrendered
Either to the world or to myself.
#53 The illumination of life-clouds, part 2, Agni Press, 1974
53. Judge nothing; you will be happy. My own personal experience I am sharing with you. Try to forgive everything; you will be happier. My own personal realisation I am sharing with you. Love everything; you will be happiest. God’s own personal Secret I am sharing with you.
#54 Enthusiasm, part 3, 2002
54. It is only through inner peace that we can have true outer freedom.
#55 My heart’s salutation to Australia, part 1, Agni Press, 1976
55. When you have genuine humility, it is a sign that you have something to offer to mankind. If you are all pride and ego, then nobody will be able to get anything worthwhile from you.
#56 Seventy-Seven Thousand Service-Trees, part 17, Agni Press, 2000
56. The human mind is utterly stupid when it carries, quite willingly, the heavy burden of resentment.
#57 Sri Chinmoy answers, part 8, Agni Press, 1997
57. Lack of harmony comes when I feel that I know how to do something better than you. Lack of harmony is the song and dance of superiority. Because everybody feels superior, disharmony at every moment is entering into our lives.
#58 Three strangling sisters: fear, jealousy and insecurity, Agni Press, 1974
58. You have to know what failure is and what failure can do. Fear is bound to go when you know that failure is not something shameful, damaging, destructive or painful. Feel that failure is something natural. When a child starts to walk, he often stumbles and falls down. But the moment he knows how to walk, he does not consider that his stumbling was a failure. He thinks that it was a natural process to stand up for a moment and then fall again.
#59 Religion, Sri Chinmoy, Mother India’s Lighthouse: India’s spiritual leaders, Agni Press, 1971 [S]
59. No religion is absolutely perfect. Yet not only do we fight for religion, but also are we often willing to sacrifice our lives for it. And what we hopelessly fail to do is to live it. A true religion is that which has no caste, no creed, no colour. It is but an all-uniting and all-pervading embrace.
#60 When You Do The Right Thing, Ten Thousand Flower-Flames, part 80, Agni Press, 1983 [S]
60. Always remember the joy you get
When you do the right thing.
This joy will give you
The inspiration, aspiration
To continue doing the right thing.
#61 An Opportunity To Meditate, Ten Thousand Flower-Flames, part 80, Agni Press, 1983 [S]
61. Every moment can be
An opportunity to meditate,
No matter where you are
Or what is going on around you.
It is all a matter
Of where your consciousness is.
#62 Your Inner Light Will Be Revealed, Ten Thousand Flower-Flames, part 80, Agni Press, 1983 [S]
62. The sun may be covered by clouds,
But eventually its full light
Will be revealed.
Similarly, if you become
Bright, brighter, brightest
In the inner world,
Your inner light will not be able
To remain hidden.
#63-64 Inner Promise, Simon & Schuster, 1974
63. Purity does demand that you have a clean body, but true physical purity lies inside the heart. You have to establish an inner shrine within your heart.
64. You have to establish purity in the physical, in the vital, in the mind—everywhere in the outer nature. Then whatever you do, whatever you are, whatever you possess will be filled with purity.
Connect with Sri Chinmoy