Thomas Fuller Love Quotes and Sayings
#1 Of Marriage, The holy state, and the profane state [S]
1. Deceive not thyself by over-expecting happiness in the married estate…Remember the nightingales which sing only some months in the spring, but commonly are silent when they have hatched their eggs…
2. There is more pleasure in loving than in being beloved.
Excerpt from Wikipedia: Thomas Fuller (1608 – 16 August 1661) was an English churchman and historian. He is now remembered for his writings, particularly his Worthies of England, published after his death. He was a prolific author, and one of the first English writers able to live by his pen (and his many patrons).
Sayings by Thomas Fuller
1. A drinker has a hole under his nose that all his money runs into.
2. A gift, with a kind countenance, is a double present.
3. A man is not good or bad for one action.
4. An invincible determination can accomplish almost anything and in this lies the great distinction between great men and little men.
5. Better be alone than in bad company.
6. Charity begins at home, but should not end there.
7. Compliments cost nothing, yet many pay dear for them.
8. He that cannot forgive others breaks the bridge over which he must pass himself; for every man has need to be forgiven.
9. He that travels much knows much.
10. If thou art a master, be sometimes blind; if a servant, sometimes deaf.
11. If you command wisely, you’ll be obeyed cheerfully.
12. If you would have a good wife, marry one who has been a good daughter.
13. ‘Tis better to suffer wrong than do it.
14. Two things a man should never be angry at: what he can help, and what he cannot help.
#15 A Pisgah sight of Palestine [S]
15. …it is always darkest just before the day dawneth…
#16 Of Anger, The holy state, and the profane state
16. Be not mortally angry with any for a venial fault.—He will make a strange combustion in the state of his soul, who, at the landing of every cock-boat, sets the beacons on fire. To be angry for every toy, debases the worth of thy anger; for he who will be angry for any thing, will be angry for nothing.