Daisaku Ikeda Love Quotes and Sayings
2. In a relationship, it is demeaning to constantly seek your partner’s approval. If you find yourself in a relationship where you are not treated the way your heart says you should be, have the courage and dignity to decide that you are better off risking the scorn of your partner than enduring unhappiness with him or her.
Excerpt from Wikipedia: Daisaku Ikeda (池田 大作 Ikeda Daisaku?, born January 2, 1928, Japan) is president of Sōka Gakkai International (SGI), a Nichiren Buddhist lay association which claims 12 million members in 192 countries and territories, and founder of several educational, cultural and peace research institutions. Ikeda was listed in Watkins Books’ magazine Mind Body Spirit, published by London’s oldest esoteric bookshop, as one of the “100 Most Spiritually Influential Living People” in 2012.
Sayings by Daisaku Ikeda
1. Even if things don’t unfold the way you expected, don’t be disheartened or give up. One who continues to advance will win in the end.
2. It is impossible to build one’s own happiness on the unhappiness of others. This perspective is at the heart of Buddhist teachings.
3. Life is painful. It has thorns, like the stem of a rose. Culture and art are the roses that bloom on the stem. The flower is yourself, your humanity. Art is the liberation of the humanity inside yourself.
4. Leave behind the passive dreaming of a rose-tinted future. The energy of happiness exists in living today with roots sunk firmly in reality’s soil.
5. A person, who no matter how desperate the situation, gives others hope, is a true leader.
6. Reality is harsh. It can be cruel and ugly. Yet no matter how much we grieve over our environment and circumstances nothing will change. What is important is not to be defeated, to forge ahead bravely. If we do this, a path will open before us.
7. It is much more valuable to look for the strength in others. You can gain nothing by criticizing their imperfections.
8. The heart is what is important.” There is nothing more vulnerable, nothing more corruptible than the human mind; nor is there anything as powerful, steadfast and ennobling.
9. Rise to the challenges that life presents you. You can’t develop genuine character and ability by sidestepping adversity and struggle.
10. A person’s true nature is revealed at times of the greatest adversity.
11. The determination to win is the better part of winning.
12. Faith is to fear nothing, to stand unswayed, the power to surmount any obstacle.
13. People can only live fully by helping others to live. When you give life to friends you truly live. Cultures can only realize their further richness by honoring other traditions. And only by respecting natural life can humanity continue to exist.
14. Youthfulness is not determined by age. It is determined by one’s life force. One who possesses hope is forever young. One who continually advances is forever beautiful.
15. You must not for one instant give up the effort to build new lives for yourselves.
16. Strength is Happiness. Strength is itself victory. In weakness and cowardice there is no happiness. When you wage a struggle, you might win or you might lose. But regardless of the short-term outcome, the very fact of your continuing to struggle is proof of your victory as a human being.
17. Those who give up dreams, do injury to their own hearts and cannot possibly enjoy a profound sense of fulfillment in the end.
18. The economy is after all driven by people. No matter how dire the situation may be, as long as people are firm, a turnaround, revival and progress can be possible.
19. Human beings are inherently endowed with the power to bring out the best possible results from the worst possible circumstances.
20. I cannot say this too strongly: Do not compare yourselves to others. Be true to who you are, and continue to learn with all your might.
21. Happiness in life is not determined by marriage. The secret to happiness lies in building a strong inner self, a self that no trial or hardship can diminish.
22. Envying another’s beauty will diminish your own. But when you praise beauty in others your own beauty deepens.
23. Patience is, in and of itself, a great challenge and it often holds the key to breaking through a seeming impasse.
24. No matter what our personal circumstances may be, if we ourselves become a source of light, then there will be no darkness in the world.
25. The heart of education exists in the process of teacher and pupil learning together, the teacher drawing forth the pupil’s potential and raising the pupil to eventually surpass the teacher.
26. The greatest tragedy in life is not to die, it is to live as if dead, to let the life within us wither. Toward what goal or achievement are we striving in life? This is the important question to ask ourselves.
27. The important thing is to take that first step. Bravely overcoming one small fear gives you the courage to take on the next.
28. Everything begins with the resolve to take the first step. From that action, wisdom arises and change begins. Without action, nothing changes.
29. No matter what may have happened yesterday, a new day of fresh possibility has dawned. You are not the same person today as you were yesterday!
30. If you want to change another person, first change your own heart. When you change, others around you will change.