Jim Valvano Love Quotes and Sayings
#1 ESPY Awards Speech, 4 March 1993
1. People think I have courage. The courage in my family are my wife Pam, my three daughters, here, Nicole, Jamie, LeeAnn, my mom, who’s right here too.
#2 Cutting Down the Nets, Million Dollar Round Table, Chicago USA, 1987
2. …the gift my father gave me, every day of my life, was he believed in me. My father believed in me, he believed in me when I failed, he believed in me when I wasn’t as fine a son, friend, husband, father, as I could be.
Variant: My father gave me the greatest gift anyone could give another person, he believed in me.
Excerpt from Wikipedia: James Thomas Anthony “Jim” Valvano (March 10, 1946 – April 28, 1993), nicknamed Jimmy V, was an American college basketball coach.
While the head basketball coach at North Carolina State University, he won the 1983 NCAA Basketball Tournament against long odds. Valvano is not only remembered for running up and down the court after winning the 1983 NCAA championship, seemingly in disbelief and looking for someone to hug, but also for his inspirational 1993 ESPY Awards speech, given less than two months before before he died of cancer.
Sayings by Jim Valvano
#1-5 ESPY Awards Speech, 4 March 1993 [S]
1. To me, there are three things we all should do every day. We should do this every day of our lives. Number one is laugh. You should laugh every day. Number two is think. You should spend some time in thought. Number three is you should have your emotions moved to tears, could be happiness or joy. But think about it. If you laugh, you think and you cry, that’s a full day. That’s a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you’re going to have something special.
2. Cancer can take away all my physical abilities. It cannot touch my mind, it cannot touch my heart and it cannot touch my soul. And those three things are going to carry on forever.
3. It’s so important to know where you are. I know where I am right now. How do you go from where you are to where you want to be? I think you have to have an enthusiasm for life. You have to have a dream, a goal. You have to be willing to work for it.
4. Time is very precious to me. I don’t know how much I have left, and I have some things that I would like to say. Hopefully, at the end, I will have said something that will be important to other people, too.
5. If you see me, smile and maybe give me a hug. That’s important to me too.
#6-9 ESPY Awards Speech, 4 March 1993
6. …try if you can to support, whether it’s AIDS or the cancer foundation, so that someone else might survive, might prosper and might actually be cured of this dreaded disease.
7. I just got one last thing: I urge all of you, all of you, to enjoy your life, the precious moments you have. To spend each day with some laughter and some thought. To get your emotions going. To be enthusiastic every day.
8. Now I’m fighting cancer. Everybody knows that. People ask me all the time about how you go through your life and how’s your day, and nothing is changed for me.
9. We need your help. I need your help. We need money for research. It may not save my life. It may save my children’s lives. It may save someone you love. And it’s very important.
#10 Motto for Jimmy V Foundation for Cancer Research
10. Don’t give up…don’t ever give up.
#11 Remembering My Dad – V Foundation [S]
11. There are 86,400 seconds in a day. It’s up to you to decide what to do with them.
Unsourced Quotes by Jim Valvano
1. I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can’t trust em.
2. No matter what business you’re in, you can’t run in place or someone will pass you by. It doesn’t matter how many games you’ve won.
3. Be a dreamer. If you don’t know how to dream, you’re dead.