Sarah Dessen Love Quotes and Sayings
#1 The Truth about Forever
1. There is never a time or place for true love. It happens accidentally, in a heartbeat, in a single flashing, throbbing moment.
#2-4 This Lullaby
2. Love is needing someone. Love is putting up with someone’s bad qualities because they somehow complete you.
3. I am coming to terms with the fact that loving someone requires a leap of faith, and that a soft landing is never guaranteed.
4. Maybe marriage, like life, isn’t only about the big moments, whether they be good or bad. Maybe it’s all the small things – like being guided slowly forward, surely, day after day – that stretches out to strengthen even the most tenuous bond.
#5-6 Someone Like You, Hachette UK, 4 August 2011
5. Don’t be a fool. Don’t give up something important to hold on to someone who can’t even say they love you.
6. And to know me, as you have discovered, is to love me.
#7 What Happened to Goodbye, Penguin, 10 May 2011
7. I mean, it’s not surprising, really. Once you love something, you always love it in some way. You have to. It’s, like, part of you for good.
#8-9 This Lullaby
8. No relationship is perfect, ever. There are always some ways you have to bend, to compromise, to give something up in order to gain something greater…The love we have for each other is bigger than these small differences. And that’s the key. It’s like a big pie chart, and the love in a relationship has to be the biggest piece. Love can make up for a lot.
9. But holding people away from you, and denying yourself love, that doesn’t make you strong. If anything, it makes you weaker. Because you’re doing it out of fear.
#10 Lock and Key
10. My point is, there are a lot of people in the world. No one ever sees everything the same way you do; it just doesn’t happen. So when you find one person who gets a couple of things, especially if they’re important ones… you might as well hold onto them.
Excerpt from Wikipedia: Sarah Dessen (born June 6, 1970, in Evanston, Illinois) is an American writer who lives in Chapel Hill, North Carolina.
Sayings by Sarah Dessen
#1-3 Just Listen
1. Don’t think or judge, just listen.
2. But you can’t always get the perfect moment. Sometimes, you just have to do the best you can under the circumstances.
3. There comes a time in every life when the world gets quiet and the only thing left is your own heart. So you’d better learn to know the sound of it. Otherwise you’ll never understand what it’s saying.
#4-6 Lock and Key
4. Look, the point is there’s no way to be a hundred percent sure about anyone or anything. So you’re left with a choice. Either hope for the best or just expect the worst.
5. You couldn’t make any one person your world. The trick was to take what each could give you and build a world from it.
6. But sometimes we just have to be happy with what people can offer us. Even if it’s not what we want, at least it’s something.
#7-10 Keeping the Moon
7. If you try anything, if you try to lose weight, or to improve yourself, or to love, or to make the world a better place, you have already achieved something wonderful, before you even begin. Forget failure. If things don’t work out the way you want, hold your head up high and be proud. And try again. And again. And again!
8. I don’t believe in failure. Because simply by saying you’ve failed, you’ve admitted you attempted. And anyone who attempts is not a failure. Those who truly fail in my eyes are the ones who never try at all. The ones who sit on the couch and whine and moan and wait for the world to change for them.
9. If something doesn’t work exactly right, or maybe needs some special treatment, you don’t just throw it away. Everything can’t be fully operational all the time. Sometimes, we need to have the patience to give something the little nudge it needs.
10. And I saw her tap her temple with one finger, her face close to mine, saying: Believe in yourself up here and it will make you stronger than you could ever imagine.
#11 This Lullaby
11. I can say I made a lot of mistakes, but I don’t regret things. Because at least I didn’t spend a life standing outside, wondering what living would be like.
#12-15 Along for the Ride
12. And the bottom line is, what defines you isn’t how many times you crash, but the number of times you get back on the bike. As long as it’s one more, you’re all good.
13. Life is full of screwups. You’re supposed to fail sometimes. It’s a required part of the human existence.
14. It was so risky and so scary, and yet at the same time, so beautiful. Maybe the truth was, it shouldn’t be easy to be amazing. Then everything would be. It’s the things you fight for and struggle with before earning that have the greatest worth.
15. Because if you were the problem, chances were you could also be the solution. The only way to find out was to take another shot.
#16-18 The Truth about Forever, Penguin, 6 April 2006
16. Anyone can hide. Facing up to things, working through them, that’s what makes you strong.
17. I just think that some things are meant to be broken. Imperfect. Chaotic. It’s the universe’s way of providing contrast, you know? There have to be a few holes in the road. It’s how life is.
18. For any one of us our forever could end in an hour, or a hundred years from now. You can never know for sure, so you’d better make every second count.