Bruce Lee Love Quotes and Sayings
#1-2 Brucelee.com, #24 Poetry
1. Love is like a friendship caught on fire. In the beginning a flame, very pretty, often hot and fierce but still only light and flickering. As love grows older our hearts mature, and our love becomes as coals deep burning and unquenchable.
2. My wife and I aren’t one and one. We are two halves that make a whole. You have to apply yourself to be a family. Two halves fitted together are more efficient than either half would be alone.
#3 The Warrior Within: The Philosophies of Bruce Lee, 1996, p. 64
3. If one loves, one need not have an ideology of love.
Excerpt from Wikipedia: Bruce Lee (Jun Fan, 李振藩, 李小龍; pinyin: Lǐ Zhènfān, Lǐ Xiăolóng; 27 November 1940 – 20 July 1973) was a Chinese American and Hong Kong actor, martial artist, philosopher, film director, screenwriter, practitioner of Wing Chun and founder of the Jeet Kune Do concept. He is considered by many as the most influential martial artist of the 20th century, and a cultural icon. He is the father of actor Brandon Lee and of actress Shannon Lee. He was named by Time Magazine as one of the 100 most influential people of the 20th century.
Sayings by Bruce Lee
#1 The Warrior Within: The Philosophies of Bruce Lee, 1996
1. The happiness that is derived from excitement is like a brilliant fire — soon it will go out.
#2 Bruce Lee’s radio interview with Ted Thomas
2. When I look around, I always learn something: to be always yourself, and to express yourself, to have faith in yourself. Do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it.
#3 Jeet Kune Do, 1997, Part 5: On training in Jeet Kune Do
3. An instructor should exemplify the things he seeks to teach. It will be of great advantage if you yourself can do all you ask of your students and more.
#4 The Art of Expressing the Human Body, 1998, John R. Little, p. 23
4. There are no limits. There are plateaus, but you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. If it kills you, it kills you. A man must constantly exceed his level.
#5 Paraphrases a much older English proverb: If you care for life, don’t waste your time; for time is what life is made of.
5. If you love life, don’t waste time, for time is what life is made up of.
#6 Striking Thoughts, 2000, Part III: On Matters of Existence
6. Balance your thoughts with action. — If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you’ll never get it done.
#7 Striking Thoughts, 2000, Part IV: On Achievement
7. Knowledge will give you power, but character respect.
#8 The Warrior Within: The Philosophies of Bruce Lee, John Little
8. Notice that the stiffest tree is most easily cracked, while the bamboo or willow survive by bending with the wind.
9. I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.
#10 Twitter, 29 October 2014
10. Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one.
#11 Bruce Lee: A Warrior’s Journey (2000); Bruce Lee was reciting lines he wrote for his short lived role on the TV series Longstreet
11. Don’t get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.
#12 Bruce Lee: The Lost Interview, 1971
12. All types of knowledge, ultimately mean self knowledge.
#13 Facebook, 24 June 2014
13. Mistakes are always forgivable, if one has the courage to admit them.
#14 Striking Thoughts, 2000, Part VIII: On Ultimate (Final) Principles
14. The change is from inner to outer. — We start by dissolving our attitude not by altering outer conditions.
#15 Striking Thoughts, 2000, Part VIII: On Ultimate (Final) Principles
15. Choose the positive. — You have choice — you are master of your attitude — choose the positive, the constructive. Optimism is a faith that leads to success.
#16 Twitter, 5 March 2015
16. The successful warrior is the average man, with laser-like focus.
#17 Twitter, 9 July 2013
17. For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.
#18 Bruce Lee Striking Thoughts: Bruce Lee’s Wisdom for Daily Living
18. A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence.
#19-23 Striking Thoughts, 2000, Part I: On First Principles
19. Emptiness the starting point. — In order to taste my cup of water you must first empty your cup. My friend, drop all your preconceived and fixed ideas and be neutral. Do you know why this cup is useful? Because it is empty.
20. Life is wide, limitless. There is no border, no frontier.
21. Life is never stagnation. It is constant movement, unrhythmic movement, as we as constant change. Things live by moving and gain strength as they go.
22. Life itself is your teacher, and you are in a state of constant learning.
23. To spend time is to pass it in a specified manner. To waste time is to expend it thoughtlessly or carelessly. We all have time to spend or waste, and it is our decision what to do with it. But once passed, it is gone forever.
#24 Twitter, 25 March 2016
24. When life gives you obstacles, you must summon the courage and walk on!
#25 Bruce Lee Striking Thoughts, 2000, Part VIII: On Ultimate (Final) Principles
25. Cease negative mental chattering. — If you think a thing is impossible, you’ll make it impossible. Pessimism blunts the tools you need to succeed.
#26 Bruce Lee Striking Thoughts: Bruce Lee’s Wisdom for Daily Living
26. In Buddhism, there is no place for using effort. Just be ordinary and nothing special. Eat your food, move your bowels, pass water and when you’re tired go and lie down. The ignorant will laugh at me, but the wise will understand.
#27 Facebook, 18 January 2011
27. It is compassion rather than principle of justice that can guard us against being unjust to our fellow men.
#28-31 Jeet Kune Do, 1997, Part 6: Beyond System — The Ultimate Source of Jeet Kune Do
28. Even today, I dare not say that I have reached a state of achievement. I’m still learning, for learning is boundless.
29. Faith is a state of mind that can be conditioned through self-discipline. Faith will accomplish.
30. Faith makes it possible to achieve that which man’s mind can conceive and believe.
31. Possession of anything begins in the mind.
#32 The Warrior Within : The Philosophies of Bruce Lee, 1996, p. 48
32. Running water never grows stale. So you just have to ‘keep on flowing.’
#33 The Warrior Within: The Philosophies of Bruce Lee, 1996, p. 126
33. To grow, to discover, we need involvement, which is something I experience every day — sometimes good, sometimes frustrating. No matter what, you must let your inner light guide you out of the darkness.
Unsourced Bruce Lee Quotes
1. A quick temper will make a fool of you soon enough.
2. Real living is living for others.
3. Defeat is not defeat unless accepted as a reality-in your own mind.
4. Self-knowledge involves relationship. To know oneself is to study one self in action with another person. Relationship is a process of self evaluation and self revelation. Relationship is the mirror in which you discover yourself – to be is to be related.
5. Empty your cup so that it may be filled; become devoid to gain totality.
6. I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who had practiced one kick 10,000 times.
7. Be happy, but never satisfied.
8. Ever since I was a child I have had this instinctive urge for expansion and growth. To me, the function and duty of a quality human being is the sincere and honest development of one’s potential.