Over 100 Life Quotes and Sayings
Picasso said, “The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away.” I hope these 80+ Life Quotes and Sayings can help you to find your gift and to give it away.
1. No matter what is going on in your life today, remember, it is only preparation for better things.
Life must begin within. Stress will not go away until you decide it no longer has a place in your life.
You are a student of life. There is always something new for you to learn each day.
That thing which you do with all of your heart and soul, which brings joy into your heart, satisfaction into your life: that is your purpose.
– Iyanla Vanzant
2. Hold yourself responsible for a higher standard than anybody expects of you. Never excuse yourself.
3. Life, as I see it, is not a location, but a journey. Life flows.
Greatest thing in life is experience. Even mistakes have value.
– Henry Ford
4. You will never regret what you do in life; you will only regret what you don’t do.
5. The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.
6. Life is filled with pain and sufferings, but also with hope and love.
There are three poisons in life: greed, anger, and ignorance. Giving cures greed. Compassion cures anger. Wisdom cures ignorance.
Every day is a blank page in life, every person, every thing is a vivid essay.
The four treasures in life are sleeping soundly, eating happily, laughing joyfully and working healthily.
What matters is not how much teachings one listens to but how one applies them in daily life.
Life is like walking on a tightrope. We are sure to fall if we keep looking back instead of focusing on what is ahead.
7. To try is to risk failure, but risks must be taken, because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.
8. Life isn’t about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.
9. Life is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be understood.
The best and most beautiful things in this world cannot be seen or even heard, but must be felt with the heart.
10. Life does not have to be perfect to be wonderful.
– Annette Funicello
11. Don’t let one cloud obliterate the whole sky.
12. This journey is yours, take charge of it. Stop giving other people the power to shape your life.
13. Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.
Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value.
The life of the individual has meaning only in so far as it aids in making the life of every living thing nobler and more beautiful.
14. Stop thinking about life and choose to live it!
One day you will wake up and there won’t be any more time to do the things you’ve always wanted. Do it now.
Life is short! Kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
There comes a point in your life when you realize what really matters, what never did, and what always will. (Twitter, 25 July 2017)
15. The purpose of life is a life of purpose.
– Robert Byrne
16. Life is like a mirror. It will smile at you, if you smile at it.
One of the best lessons you can learn in life is to master how to remain calm.
Pain is meant to wake you up. Some of life’s best changes come from pain.
17. Life is not meant to be a burden. Life is not a problem to be solved. It is a blessing to be celebrated.
– Joan Chittister
18. The difference between school and life. In school, you’re taught a lesson and then given a test. In life, you’re given a test that teaches you a lesson.
– Tom Bodett
19. We must be willing to let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the life that is waiting for us.
The problem is not to blame or to explain but to handle the life that arises.
20. The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls a butterfly.
I do not exist to impress the world. I exist to live my life in a way that will make me happy.
21. Only when we are no longer afraid do we begin to live.
– Dorothy Thompson
22. There’s so many things that life is, and no matter how many breakthroughs, trials will exist and we’re going to get through it. Just be strong.
– Mary J. Blige
23. Any religion or philosophy which is not based on a respect for life is not a true religion or philosophy.
– Albert Schweitzer, Letter to a Japanese Animal Welfare Society, 1961
24. He who is not everyday conquering some fear has not learned the secret of life.
It is not length of life, but depth of life.
25. Life’s most persistent and urgent question is, ‘What are you doing for others?’
26. The bad news is time flies. The good news is you’re the pilot.
– Michael Altshuler
27. Life isn’t a matter of milestones, but of moments.
– Rose Kennedy
28. The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away.
29. The tragedy of life is not death but what we let die inside of us while we live.
– Norman Cousins
30. You do not live each day to discover what it holds for you, but to create it.
The best things in life are free. It is important never to lose sight of that. So look around you. Wherever you see friendship, loyalty, laughter and love … there is your treasure.
Remember, life is an ongoing process of creation. You are creating your reality every moment.
The deepest secret is that life is not a process of discovery, but a process of creation.
Life begins now – not tomorrow or the next day or the next. It means you can have a new beginning whenever you want. (Twitter, 8 July 2017)
31. The future cannot be predicted, but futures can be invented. It was man’s ability to invent which has made human society what it is.
– Dennis Gabor
32. All the works of nature are miracles, and nothing makes them appear otherwise but our familiarity with them.
– Samuel Butler
33. Life is growth. If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead.
– Morihei Ueshiba
34. Life has its own hidden forces which you can only discover by living.
Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.
– Søren Kierkegaard
35. To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.
– Oscar Wilde, The Soul of Man under Socialism, 1891
36. You must take life the way it comes at you and make the best of it.
37. We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.
38. If life were predictable it would cease to be life, and be without flavor.
39. In three words I can sum up everything I’ve learned about life – It goes on.
40. The greatest lesson in life is that you are responsible for your life.
You get in life what you have the courage to ask for.
The more you praise and celebrate your life, the more there is in life to celebrate.
41. Accept responsibility for your life. Know that it is you who will get you where you want to go, no one else.
42. Take life on life’s terms – one day at a time. And have fun while you’re doing it.
– Joe Perry
43. You cannot expect to live a positive life if you hang with negative people.
Life is short. Don’t miss opportunities to spend time with people that you love.
44. You cannot have a positive life and a negative mind.
45. Your life is your story. Write well. Edit often.
– Susan Statham
46. The true meaning of life is to plant trees, under whose shade you do not expect to sit.
– Nelson Henderson
47. Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass … it’s about learning to dance in the rain.
– Vivian Greene
48. Life is like a rainbow, you need both the sun and the rain to make its colors appear.
We are not given a good life or bad life. We are given a life. It’s up to use to make it good or bad.
One of the biggest mistakes we make is assuming that other people think the way we think.
– Author Unknown
49. Life’s like a boomerang. The more good you throw out, the more you receive in return.
– Josh Hinds
50. It’s not what you have in your life, it’s who you have in your life that really counts.
50. Believe that life is worth living and your belief will help create the fact.
51. Sometimes the heart sees what is invisible to the eyes.
52. Life is too deep for words, so don’t try to describe it, just live it.
53. Life is not about avoiding pain. It is how you handle pain when it crosses your path.
54. Life is not a solo act; it’s an ensemble piece. You’re in this with other actors, whose lines are just as important as yours.
55. Life is a miracle and being aware of simply this can already make us very happy.
56. The true purpose is to see things as they are, to observe things as they are, and to let everything go as it goes.
– Shunryu Suzuki
57. I find ecstasy in living—the mere sense of living is joy enough. (The Life of Emily Dickinson, Volumes 1-2 by Richard Benson Sewall)
If I can stop one heart from breaking,
I shall not live in vain;
If I can ease one life the aching,
Or cool one pain,
Or help one fainting robin
Unto his nest again,
I shall not live in vain. (Complete Poems by Emily Dickinson)
– Emily Dickinson
58. I finally figured out the only reason to be alive is to enjoy it.
– Rita Mae Brown
59. The trick is to enjoy life. Don’t wish away your days, waiting for better ones ahead.
– Marjorie Pay Hinckley
60. Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
Why try to explain miracles to your kids when you can just have them plant a garden?
– Robert Brault
61. When you see the beauty in little things, life suddenly becomes extraordinary!
– Symphony of Love
62. Open your eyes to the beauty around you, open your mind to the wonders of life, open your heart to those who love you, and always be true to yourself.
– Donna Davis
63. Life is full of beauty. Notice it. Notice the bumble bee, the small child, and the smiling faces. Smell the rain, and feel the wind. Live your life to the fullest potential, and fight for your dreams.
– Ashley Smith
64. Sometimes even to live is an act of courage.
65. Many of us have road maps we envision for the course we think our lives should take. It’s important to get headed in the right direction, but don’t get so caught up in the concerns over your destination that you forget to delight in the scenery of each new day. Remember that some of the secret joys of living are not found by rushing from point A to point B, but by inventing some imaginary letters along the way.
– Douglas Pagels
66. Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
– Leonardo da Vinci
67. One of the best lessons you can learn in life is to master how to remain calm.
– Catherine Pulsifer
68. This is your life. You are responsible for it. You will not live forever. Don’t wait.
– Natalie Goldberg, Wild Mind: Living the Writer’s Life
69. The secret to living well and longer is: to eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure …
– Tibetan Proverb
70. Don’t hold together what must fall apart. The familiar life crumbles so the new life can begin.
– Bryant McGill
71. For one minute, walk outside, stand there, in silence, look up at the sky, and contemplate how amazing life is.
72. Life is a mural that you create. Every action you take is another brush stroke. Make yours beautiful.
– Anthony Gucciardi
73. My point is, life is about balance. The good and the bad. The highs and the lows. The pina and the colada.
– Ellen DeGeneres, Seriously…I’m Kidding, p. 92
74. Your life is your autobiography. Write an epic.
Don’t live the same year 75 times and call it a life. (Twitter, 19 May 2017)
The more you go to the edge of your limits the more your limits will expand. (Twitter, 22 July 2016)
– Robin Sharma
75. I think of life as a good book. The further you get into it, the more it begins to make sense.
– Harold S. Kushner
#76 Festus, 1839
76. We live in deeds, not years; in thoughts, not breaths; in feelings, not in figures on a dial. We should count time by heart-throbs.
– Philip James Bailey
77. You life but once; you might as well be amusing.
– Coco Chanel
78. One of the most important things I’ve learned in life is to ignore most of what people say. I watch what they do instead.
– Amanda Patterson
79. When we get too caught up in the busyness of the world, we lose connection with one another – and ourselves.
Everything that has a beginning has an ending. Make your peace with that and all will be well.
There are ten thousand joys and sorrows in every life, and at one time or another we will be touched by all of them.
80. My life completely changed the moment I took responsibility for everything that happens to me.
– Steven Aitchison
#81 Bell Telephone Talk, 1901
81. A man, as a general rule, owes very little to what he is born with – a man is what he makes of himself.
– Alexander Graham Bell
82. Make your life a story worth telling.
– Adam Braun
83. There’s treasure hidden in every moment. The joy of life is finding it!
– Katrina Mayer
84. Knowledge comes from learning. Wisdom comes from living.
– Anthony Douglas Williams
85. Tomorrow, is the first blank page of a 365 page book. Write a good one.
– Brad Paisley
86. The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it. You either have to laugh or cry. I prefer to laugh. Crying gives me a headache.
– Marjorie Pay Hinckley
87. Life is about making an impact, not making an income. (Twitter, 01 Feb 2017)
– Kevin Kruse
88. You create an entire movie in your mind, and in that picture you are the director, producer, the main actor or actress. (Twitter, 25 Feb 2017)
– Don Miguel Ruiz
89. Day by day we are born as night retires, no more possessing aught of our former life, estranged from our course of yesterday, and beginning today the life that remains.
– Palladas, Greek poet
90. Life is not easy for any of us. But what of that? We must have perseverance and above all confidence in ourselves. We must believe that we are gifted for something, and that this thing, at whatever cost, must be attained. (Madame Curie : A Biography, 1937, Eve Curie Labouisse)
– Marie Curie
91. Take life as a joyful adventure.
92. No matter what life had served you, you could find a way to shape it, and in so doing make a difference for others too. (TED Talks)
– Chris Anderson
93. The best way to predict the future is to invent it.
– Alan Kay
94. A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. (Twitter, 23 February 2015)
– Leonard Nimoy
95. Life is pure adventure, and the sooner we realize that, the quicker we will be able to treat life as art.
96. By plucking her petals you do not gather the beauty of the flower.
97. Life is simple. It’s what we believe about life that complicates it.
#98 Booker T. Washington Papers Volume 3: 1889-95. Assistant Editors, Stuart B. Kaufman and Raymond W. Smock
98. Let us all strive to do this: The life worth living is giving one’s life for the good of others, to forget ourselves and do something for others.
– Booker T. Washington
99. Know that life is not fair and that you will fail often, but if you take some risks, step up when the times are toughest, face down the bullies, lift up the downtrodden, and never, ever give up… if you do these things, then the next generation and the generations that follow will live in a world far better than the one we have today. And what started here will indeed have changed the world, for the better.
– William H. McRaven, Make Your Bed: Little Things That Can Change Your Life…And Maybe the World
100. Life is beautiful not because of the things we see or do, it is beautiful because of the people we meet.
101. The use of travelling is to regulate imagination by reality, and instead of thinking how things may be, to see them as they are.
It is better to live rich, than to die rich.
102. Sometimes it’s hard in the moment, but life is always giving you exactly what you need to grow to your next level. (Twitter, 24 September 2017)
Rather than searching for life’s meaning, know that you always have the power to create it. (Twitter, 5 March 2019)
– Marie Forleo
103. Lack of direction, not lack of time, is the problem. We all have 24-hour days. (Quoted here)
– Zig Ziglar
104. There is nothing in the world, I venture to say, that would so effectively help one to survive even the worst conditions, as the knowledge that there is a meaning in one’s life.
Ever more people today have the means to live, but no meaning to live for.
105. I would like my life to be a statement of love and compassion–and where it isn’t, that’s where my work lies. (Twitter, 15 November 2017)
– Ram Dass
106. Never do anything that means you can’t sleep at night.
107. I had an aching sense that our time is short, shorter than we ever know, short as a morning run, and I wanted mine to be meaningful. And purposeful. And creative. And important. Above all … different. I wanted to leave a mark on the world. (Shoe Dog: A Memoir by the Creator of Nike)
– Phil Knight
108. Actual shortcuts often appear to be detours. The crowd doesn’t understand this. They’re always looking for a shortcut that looks like a shortcut. If you’re merely following them, you probably won’t get anywhere interesting. It’s the detours that pay off. (December 13, 2017)
– Seth Godin
#109 “Partaking in Other Men’s Sins”, an address at St. Margaret’s Church, Lothbury, England, 12 June 1855, printed in Golden Lectures, 1855
109. Ye cannot live for yourselves; a thousand fibres connect you with your fellow-men, and along those fibres, as along sympathetic threads, run your actions as causes, and return to you as effects.
– Henry Melvill
110. We are the authors of our lives. We write our own daring endings.
111. You have exactly one life in which to do everything you’ll ever do. Act accordingly.
112. How am I going to live today in order to create the tomorrow I’m committed to?
113. I did it for the buzz. I did it for the pure joy of the thing. And if you can do it for the joy, you can do it forever.
– Stephen King, On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft
114. Life is pretty simple: You do some stuff. Most fails. Some works. You do more of what works. If it works big, others quickly copy it. Then you do something else. The trick is in the doing something else. (The Best Corporate Strategy? None, Of Course, 11 July 1994)
– Tom Peters
115. Life, like art, is ever evolving…Take your time, make bold strokes, use brilliant colors, and make your life the most beautiful masterpiece you can.
– Jim Rohn
116. Life teaches us to be less harsh with ourselves and with others.
117. We lived our lives as if life was forever. To live one’s life without a sense of time is to squander it. (The Beginning of the Journey)
We lived the whole of our early lives under the rule of postponement: life was not in the present, it was always ahead of us. Somewhere in the future we would be the people we intended to be. (The Beginning of the Journey)
– Diana Trilling
118. The older I get, the more I understand that it’s okay to live a life others don’t understand.
– Author Unknown
119. Ceramics and life can break into a thousand pieces, but that should be no reason to stop living life intensely, working intensely and keeping alive all our hopes and dreams. Far from avoiding living, we must learn to repair ourselves after an adversity…The broken pieces can be put back together again, and when you do this, don’t try to hide your fragility, because your apparent fragility has become an evident strength.
You are not a prisoner of your fate, mistakes or misfortunes. You are the creator of your own life, the leading actor.
– Tomás Navarro (Kintsugi, Translated by Jennifer Adcock)
120. You are not separate from the whole. You are one with the sun, the earth, the air. You don’t have a life. You are life.
121. Only staying active will make you want to live a hundred years.
– Japanese Proverb
122. Come to the edge.
We might fall.
Come to the edge.
It’s too high!
COME TO THE EDGE!
And they came
And he pushed
And they flew.
– Christopher Logue